Reload this Page >

Germany/Austria Advice

Search

Germany/Austria Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Patrice

Germany/Austria Advice

Message: Hello, I've been devouring everyone's advice in planning a trip to <BR>Munich during Oktoberfest with an opportunity to travel before of after for several <BR>days. We have a tentative schedule of the following, please advise: <BR> <BR>Tues: Arrive in Munich <BR> <BR>Wed/Thurs: in Munich (husband in meetings) <BR> <BR>Fri: Enjoy Munich <BR> <BR>Sat: To Salzburg. By train, yes?? Stay at Schloss Monchstein or Osterreichischer Hof? <BR> <BR>Sun: Day 2 in Salz <BR> <BR>Mon: To Vienna. Again, by train or car? Stay at Alterweinhof? <BR> <BR>Tues: Enjoy Vienna <BR> <BR>Wed: Return to States <BR> <BR>Wish I had another day to cruise down the Danube to Durnstein, but don't think <BR>we can fit that in. Would love to stay at Schloss Durnstein there. <BR> <BR>Any input would be appreciated. This is a last-minute trip we're trying to pull <BR>together. Thank you! <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 06:03 PM
Tony

Patrice. <BR> <BR>I would definitely travel by train; they are particularly quick and comfortable on the Munich-Salzburg- <BR>Vienna routes, as well as being quite frequent. Probably no need to reserve ahead so you can be flexible. <BR>If you leave Munich early on Saturday morning it only takes 90 minutes to Salzburg, so you could be there well before lunch. This means you could, if you wish travel to Vienna on Sunday, to give you an extra day there, which I consider preferrable, and maybe time for that cruise you want to do. <BR>By train there is a direct route Salzburg-Vienna, or a much more scenic route via Bischofsen and Bruck an der Mer. This will be a bit slower, and may involve one easy cross platform change of trains, but it will give you some superb views of the Austrian Alps, whilst enjoying lunch on the train. <BR>If you need help with train times for the latter option, let me know.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 03:07 AM
Patrice

Tony, I do like that idea! I looked on Raileurope but couldn't find the other route you suggested so any help would be appreciated. You can email me directly if you'd like. THX

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 07:49 AM
Jochen

<BR> <BR>Patrice, <BR> <BR>you can obtain train schedules for many European countries from <BR> <BR>http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en <BR> <BR>To find the route suggested by Tony, look for a connection from Salzburg Hbf to Wien ( Vienna ) via Bischofshofen and Bruck a. d. Mur. This would be indeed more scenic, but it is longer ( about 5:45 hours vs. 3:20 hours for the direct route ), and you have to change trains twice. <BR> <BR>The situation of Hotel Schloss Mönchstein is very nice. It is on top of the Mönchsberg, a 7 minutes' walk from the Mönchsberg lift and has a beautiful garden. It is also very close to the Augustinerbräu beer hall. ( Don't miss it. Open from 3 p.m. ) <BR> <BR>In my opinion, the most scenic part of the Danube is the "Wachau", the stretch between Melk and Krems, with Dürnstein being one of the highlights. Thus, rather than taking the boat from Vienna to Dürnstein I'd take the train to Melk, visit the monastery, then take the boat to Dürnstein. One can return to Vienna by train from Dürnstein-Oberloiben or by boat to Krems and then by train to Vienna. Easily doable in one day. See <BR> <BR>http://www.wachauschiff.at/en/destinations/ <BR> <BR>for details. <BR> <BR>Personally, I find both Salzburg and Vienna more interesting than Munich. <BR> <BR>Happy travels ! <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 09:59 PM
Tony

Patrice.. <BR> <BR>Sorry about the delay getting back - I've actually been quite busy this week, something that does'nt happen all that often now I'm retired - although I must admit I often wonder how I ever found the time to go to work back in the bad old days. <BR>Now then, trains from Salzburg to Vienna via the scenic route.Trains leave Salzburg at 0713, 0913, and 1113, and they all take exactly 5hrs.43mins. <BR>There are later trains,but figured you would'nt need them. If you do they are basically every two hours. <BR>On the 0713 and 1113, you change once at Bruck an der Mur just past the half way mark. On the 0913 you change twice at Bischofshofen and Bruck an der Mur. <BR>Don't let the changes frighten you, they are very simple cross platform connections. <BR>Incidentally I agree totally with Jochen's comments on the Danube cruise.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 01:48 AM
Patrick

We just traveled on the Bela Bartok train yesterday from Salzburg to Vienna and we were the only two who had reserved in first class. The train was at least three-fourths empty, so I agree that it is not necessary to reserve. And I agree about the boat trip from Melk, although it is a bit complicated with the luggage, taxis, and stopping to see the beautiful monastery in Melk.