Reload this Page >

Best Boat Rides on the Thames

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Anne

What are the best boat rides on the Thames?

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:25 AM
janis

that is hard to say because of the differences. My Favorites are either from Hampton Court Palace to Westminster or from Westminster or The Tower to greenwich.<BR><BR>The Hampton Ct to Westminster takes over 3 hours so it had better be nice weather or it is miserable. (BTW, taking the boat the other direction - Westminster &gt; HCP - can take more than an hour longer due to the currents)<BR><BR>But the shorter rides ie: Westminster to the Tower or the Frog tours are also enjoyable. The Frogs are amphibious vehicles that tour around some of the major sites and then end up launching into the river for a short river cruise.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:35 AM
doug

My vote: Westminster to Greenwich. Lots of fun. Take the tube back it's the same speil and many of the same jokes coming back.

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Suzy

I agree with doug, though having taken the tube back I'm not sure about the spiel. We took the Catamaran Cruisers hop-on-hop-off tour (as opposed to their 7-languages circle tour) that left Embankment at noon, and we arrived at Greenwich just in time to have a great view of daily 1 PM ball-drop at the top of the Observatory.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:52 AM
David White

Maybe not "the best", but surely "the quirkiest":<BR><BR> http://www.frogtours.com<BR><BR>Amphibious river and road tours of central London.<BR><BR>Dave White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Suzy

I bet the frog tours are fun. We have a similar treat in Boston thqt calls itself the Duck Tours, and it's a huge success.

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Lanny

Every time I go to London I go to Kew Gardens. And I always go by boat. From the embankment to Kew and back later in the afternoon. I wouldn't do it any other way!<BR><BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:47 PM
xxx

Oxford to Abingdon? Marlow to Henley? The Thames is quite a long river.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 01:30 PM
figaro

We rented a boat for a whole week in 1999 and lived on and travelled the Thames from Reading to Oxford and back. We had a blast and I highly recommend it. We saw sights and visited towns and villages along the way that we would never have seen otherwise. We were two families, including 5 children, and had a boat that slept 12. It was roomy (for a boat), comfortable, and well appointed. The trip cost us about $1800. We'll do it again, perhaps renting a canal boat and doing the Avon.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 02:28 PM
cheri

can anyone recommend a dinner tour?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:09 PM
janis

Figaro - you brought wonderful old memories back to me. Years ago my former husband and I, and our Airedale and Scotty took a smaller cabin cruiser from just down river of Oxford to Maidenhead and back. It was one of the highlights of the five years I lived in the UK.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Geoff Hamer

Cheri asks about a dinner cruise. The ones in London are expensive and the food is poor value. It's much better to do an evening sightseeing cruise then have dinner in a restaurant. The best evening cruise is from Greenwich at 1900 on summer Sundays: &pound;6 for two hours to Westminster and back, compared with around &pound;60 for a dinner cruise. The last of these evening cruises this year is next Sunday, the 29th, and we should see Tower Bridge opening to let the paddle steamer WAVERLEY through. I hope to be aboard as I think it's the best trip in London.