Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best bet for warmth in England late March/early April?

Mar 7th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

We're traveling to England at the end of March/beginning of April and are still really flexible as to where to spend our 8 days. We've been to London several times and spent some time in the Cotswolds a couple of summers ago. We plan to spend most of our time outside of London and wonder where it's most likely to be warmer. We love gardens, castles, great outdoor hikes (coastline, mountains, fields, moors), historic sites. Any suggestions?
We've read a bit about the Exmoor area in Devon and the western Cotswolds as possibilities.
What about Hardy's region in Dorchester? (I teach English literature
Mar 7th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Cristi, If you're travelling outside of London because of weather, I wouldn't bother because the temperatures outside of London are not going to be significantly warmer. But there's still plenty to see. Rent a cottage for a week near Exmoor or Dartmoor and you'll find plenty of hikes, walks, gardens, castles, history and charming villages.
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

We've actually been to London several times and are looking for a less urban environment for the week.
What are the pros/cons for Exmoor vs. Dartmoor?
Mar 7th, 2004, 05:12 PM

well, that's an entirely different question. Your title and post clearly asked where to look for warmer weather. But I guess that's not what you actually meant, huh??

Dartmoor and Exmoor are wonderful (not usually warmer than London tho'). I personally prefer Dartmoor because of the amazing scenery, rock formations and tine villages burried deep in dells and valleys.

But there are some really lovely places in Exmoor too.
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Somewhere in Cornwall--I can't remember where just now--there's an area that has warmer weather because of ocean currents. I remember reading about it because it has gardens with flowers and plants that otherwise don't grow in the area.
Mar 7th, 2004, 10:32 PM

Underhill:

Just about all of Cornwall benefits equally from the Gulf Stream. But that's not going to help Cristi. The bits of Britain that get the full Gulf Stream benefit are also most exposed to strong westerly winds, and tend to have highest rainfall.

Many plants love this. But it doesn't make these places feel any warmer - or drier -in spring than anywhere else.

The warmest place in England at almost any time of the year is likely to be London, which has a bit of its own microclimate.

Upland areas of England are inevitably colder, the centre of England will tend to have a slightly more continental climate (colder winters and warmer summers) and the west gets more rainfall. But, by the standards of most of the world, there's really very little in it. English weather is English weather everywhere in England.