Reload this Page >

Best Beaches for kids

Search

Best Beaches for kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:06 PM
susanbeech

Best Beaches for kids

Which beach towns along the Mediterranean are most interesting for kids-ie amusements, rides, cheap tacky souvenir shops, local food favorites etc.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Rex

Our kids really liked Cavalaire sur Mer, and it is very oriented to families with kids. Of course that means plenty of young people without kids too.<BR><BR>But it isn't anything like Jersey beaches, if that's what you're after with boardwalk, etc.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:48 AM
Elaine

I don't think you can beat the Spanish Costas for sheer tack. Avoid Jersey though - it's in the English Channel, not the Med and is pretty upmarket.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Rex

LOL!! My reference to "Jersey beaches" was to NEW Jersey!<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Rex

Points all well taken, elliebobs<BR><BR>We omit a few "modifiers" from time to time in America - - Jersey, Carolina and Dakota(s) come to mind. I'm sure that the folks in South Carolina get aggravated with Tarheels who act as if "Carolina" is the only name you need to describe their school (I now have kids in school in both states - - Clemson for our baby, and UNC for grad school for our oldest).<BR><BR>We do not seem to drop the "New" from New Mexico, New Hampshire, New Haven (CT) nor its neighbors New Britain, New London and New Canaan, New Castle (DE, KY, IN, many others), New Bedford, New Rochelle and New Paltz (NY), New Brunswick (NJ), New Paris, New Germany, New Madrid, and my original hometown, New Albany (IN) - - where it is pronounced more like "nyawbny".<BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 11:35 AM
susanbeech

Well, Rex, my kids do like "Jersey"beaches. But, we did visit Blackpool, and they liked that too. So, next year, we are planning to go somewhere where our frequent flyer miles might take us and wondered if there were any other European beaches with the tacky atmosphere of Blackpool. Thanks

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Therese

A couple of beach towns in Languedoc, both in easy driving distance of Montpellier (easily accessible by TGV and air), that have that ticky tacky appeal are Palavas-les-Flots and La Grande Motte. There's actually bus service to Palavas from Montpellier. <BR><BR>The area has lots to recommend it as a place to visit with kids---inexpensive condo rentals, lots of day trips to places with cool history.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Elaine

Susan, if you really enjoyed Blackpool, check out Magaluf on the Balearic island of Majorca, or Benidorm on the Costa Blanca.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 04:44 AM
susanbeech

LOL Well, I would say that I enjoyed Blackpool, but the kids really did. And actually, if he were to admit it-I think my husband did too. Any more ideas? About along the French Atlantic or in the Netherlands, Italian Riv. or Adriatic. At this time, we fly into Munich and drive to whereever. Don't know our return yet. Thanks

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Jan

Susan,<BR>I have just returned from Arcachon on the West Coast of France (45 min. from Bordeaux). The beaches were beautiful and very American looking with all of the tacky splendor. I am originally from Central FL and the area reminded me of Daytona. Not my style of beach now, but I think kids would love it. Rides, souvenir shops, lots of beaches and waves etc. A sure kid pleaser (and adult!) is the Dune de Pyla. It is the most immense dune I have ever seen and you can climb it and run down. It would be a tough drive from Munich. We did it from Luzern and it was 11 hours so add 3 hours approximately.<BR><BR>Wherever you go, enjoy!<BR>Jan

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 03:24 PM
StCirq

Start with Arcachon, which someone has already mentioned, and yes, be sure to include the Dune du Pylat, then over to Cap Ferret, where you can eat fresh oysters by the sea and the kids can take Le Petit Train over the dunes. <BR><BR>Continue northward to Mimizan-la-Plage, France's Atlantic City.<BR><BR>On the Mediterranean, our kids always liked the long stretches of sandy beach around S&egrave;te.