Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best beach hotel in Costa Del Sol (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-beach-hotel-in-costa-del-sol-505249/)

Baghdad Feb 19th, 2005 06:52 AM

Best beach hotel in Costa Del Sol

Help if you can -
I'm looking for a decent (4-5 star) hotel to act a central point for my wife and I on a 10 night stay in Spain (end of April/begin May).
We've made arrangements at the Torrequebrada Hotel in Malaga, which appears to be nice beach front hotel with a semi-private beach. I really just want a NICE hotel on a NICE beach - the rest is as they say 'icing on the cake'.
The plan was to use Malaga as our main point and take day trips/over nighters, with a rental car, through the area - we have relatives in Alicante and Granada.
Any sugeestions?

altajoe Feb 19th, 2005 07:52 AM

I'd suggest that you focus your search a liitle west. Shoot for Marbella. Specifically, the Elviria "section". Elviria is less congested than Marbella's Golden Mile and its famous Porta Banus. The beaches will not be private, but they will not be swarming, especially in April/May.

Marbella is blessed with a micro-climate that produces a level, mild pattern with lower humidity and temperate temps. My experience has been in the heat of the summer, but I can't help but feel that it will also help when you are going. Just as an example, this August we stayed in Elviria and it was a delightful day in the low 80's. We drove to Malaga to visit some friends at their house perched high in the hills over the city. Thankfully there was a constant breeze, but it was still a beastly 95 degrees.

As far as hotels, Id suggest the Don Carlos, but only because I'm familiar with it.

Since you have relatives in Alicante and Granada, Malaga or east of Malaga would work better to visit them. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with that area.

You might want to consider a 2 stage trip. One east of Malaga to visit relatives and a 2nd in Marbella. From Marbella you can easily get to Seville, Coroba, Ronda and Gibraltar.

One last suggestion is to look at renting apartments/condos. You are traveling off season and most owners will be willing to rent for a shorter period than their stated one-week minimum. There are fantastic condos right on the beach that will be much more reasonably priced than the hotels. If you want to be on the beach, make sure you get a "FIRST LINE BEACH" condo. Most will have pools.

Baghdad Feb 19th, 2005 08:08 AM

Thank you very much, I will look into that location!

altajoe Feb 19th, 2005 09:53 AM

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I'm not an expert, but if I'll try to answer them.

artlover Feb 19th, 2005 12:03 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Marbella Beach Resort twice and would do so again. It was a time-share through Interval International, but I believe they have individual rentals as well. It's gorgeous, right on a nice beach, the staff is incredibly helpful, and it's ideal for day trips to such places as Granada, Nerja, Rondo, and the white villages.

I like Malaga, especially the Museo Picasso, Castillo de Gibralfaro, and the Alcazar, but it is a city and I don't know about the beaches there, but know the beach in Marbella at the Marriott is nice, as is the central one in Marbella.

There are parts of the Costa del Sol that are awful--way too built up and crowded, but there are other parts that are beautiful.

altajoe Feb 19th, 2005 01:02 PM

The Marriott is a great option. Its beach is right next door to the Don Carlos'.

PEPOMALO Feb 20th, 2005 09:59 AM

Hi, Im from Malaga (Costa del Sol) I know the area perfectly and I agree with altajoe and artlover. The Torrequebrada hotel is a nice spot but is in a very crowdy area full of apartments. The Marriott and Don Carlos are very good options, both in the Elviria - Las Chapas - Marbella area. Granada is only 2 hours from Marbella by car, Alicante is too far for one day trip, could be around 500 kilometers distance. Do not forget to book a day for a visit to Málaga. Feel free to messg, me if you have any doubt or questions :)

Baghdad Feb 21st, 2005 11:29 AM

Thanks PEPOMALO - i've taken you up on that offer and sent an e-mail.