Best beach for day trip from Florence?

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Amy

Best beach for day trip from Florence?

What's a good beach for a day trip from Florence and what's the best method of getting there? <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 12:45 PM
Al

I've heard Elba is nice; but I don't really know anything about it. Maybe someone else does?

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 12:58 PM
kam

Viareggio, Forte dei Marmi and Lido di Camiaore are all classic Italian beaches. I think you'd probably want to drive.

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Tim

Beach recommendations depend upon what your group is like. Forte de Marmi is the best in my opinion for a wide vsariety of groups; there are things for children (small amusement park), quiet beach clubs (you rent cabanas and lounge chairs by the day) and some very good seaside restaurants in the beach clubs. Try Mare Paradiso, near the center of town for renting a cabana and their outside restuarant for great fried calamari and spaghetti vongole. You would drive (autostada to Lucca, then north on the other autostrada up the coast.) Don't forget to look behind you - the Carrara mountains are behind the beach - the white you see is not snow, but marble. It will take about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours to drive ot the beach.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 02:25 PM
Kim

Amy, <BR> <BR>Viaregio is the closest area from Florence. You could easily get there by bus (about 2 hours). I found the beaches around Viaregio to be very crowded with beach bungaloa, and the water not too clear. Carrera is a marble mining area. You could buy some really nice marble objects as souvenirs. I love a big marble urn I brought back from there!