Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leave nxt mth for 3.5mths, thanks for advice, the final plan (its long)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaving Brisbane at 2.30 to have a better arrival time into London (via s'pore & Dubai) get into London at about 7.30pm. Thanks to B/class tickets with Emirates transfers are included. We have 10 days in London at a lovely apartment http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk:80/p7035532hi.

This is where we will catch up with DD#1 who moved to the UK about a month ago. DH's aunty arrives on day 3, which we are thrilled about. Recently widowed and has never travelled, so we are thrilled to be her 'tour guides'. London will be all about seeing DD and helping auntyJ see the sites (this is our 3rd trip) I have emailed the Langham for a high tea booking for 'us girls'. And of course seeing some shows that we will sort out on arrival.

Then it goodbye 'again' to DD#1 and off on the Eurostar to Paris, with auntyJ. We have a week in Paris, again we have been to Paris, but thrilled to be going back. This time it’s all about food.........shopping at markets etc. and 'whipping' up some yummy dinners in our apartment. http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p412345#wrapper

We say goodbye then to auntyJ and 'put her' back on the eurostar to London where she will spend the evening with DD#1 and then start her 15 day bus tour of Europe. We will have picked up the car by now that we have leased from Peugeot for 3months (89 days ;-) ) so we will have probably done a day trip or two outside of Paris with auntyJ. Now we head off on our driving France adventure. No set plans, just going to follow advice I've received here and Rick Steves books (I'm a new convert). We want to see the Australian war memorial in Villers-Bretonneux, go to Mont Saint-Michel and generally eat and drink our way through France. DH is so excited to go and drive the Suspension bridge a Milau, especially as he saw the "Top Gear" guys do it last night.

We will then end up in Venice for 4 nights where we will be joined by our df's from Aus. Again all the usual sites but again lots of eating in out of the way places and I'd like to go to Burano. http://www.oikosvenice.com/i/orbi.html

Then the 4 of us pile in the car and head to Lake Como for 10 days. This is our down time, eating sleeping drinking walking, exploring the islands etc. We are thinking of a day trip by train to Lucerne. http://www.lakecomohomes.com/displayproperty.aspx?p=357

We will then drive to Refrancore about an hour south of Milan where we have found the most awesome accommodation. Through a friend here in Brisbane, who stayed there. It’s owned by a Brisbane couple. Our DF's will be leaving us here after 3 nights. We will be staying for 8, and DD#2 will be flying in from Australia on day 4 to spend the next 2 weeks with us. I will be so ready to see her by then. http://www.casaregina.info/

We will have 2 nights with nothing booked at this point and think we will leave it that way, just decide over there want we want to do.

Then its off to Cinque Terre for 3 nights to meet up with our other Df's from Aus, who will be with us now for a month. http://en.baranin.com/apartments-cinque-terre

Then we all head off (2 cars now) to Tuscany for 4 nights. www.agriturismoniccolai.it

Off to Rome next where we will drop DD#2 at the airport for her flight home. (gonna be some tears) Just 2 nights in Rome as we have all been before but wanted to go back for a quick visit. http://www.sleepinitaly.com/bb.php?id_bb=10

We then have 4 nights in a beautiful farm stay in between Positano & Sorrento http://www.letore.com/index.php We will drive to Pompeii one of these days.

We'll drive from there to Bari for our o'night ferry to Croatia, 5 nights Dubrovik an then about 10 days on the road with nothing booked. Just following our 'noses' as it were.

We will then say goodbye to our friends and have about 5 days to get back to Paris for our flight home. Somewhere amongst all that DD#1 will try and fly over to see us again. So what do you think, I'm really happy with it. I'd love to hear suggestions on place to see and stop.
As always I couldn't have done it without all of you.........thanks
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM

It sounds absolutely wonderful. Have a great time and a safe trip.
Write from the road if you can.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:40 PM

What an amazing adventure, please post a trip reports (or several). Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Not too sure what to do about a report. I am taking a little netbook with me and will be on line a lot. Maybe I'll try and do what 'bikerscott' did and do an ongoing blog. I think it will be too overwhelming to do it as on report on our return.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Woohoo!! What a wonderful adventure you've got planned. Your accommodations look great. Have fun, let us know the highlights. [And maybe the lowlights! ]
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an amazing trip. I think posting as you go along sounds like a great idea and would certainly be easier for you than trying to get all your notes together once you get home. Everything will be fresh in your mind while you're on the road.

Have a great time.
from another Aussie Dreamer
Kay
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Happy and safe travels - and the blog sounds fun - and more relaxing than waiting until the end.

May you return with many wonderful and happy memories.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all, Kayf, did I read somewhere that you are living in the UK now? Loving skype, makes it a little more bearable with DD#1 (Bec) being so far away.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM

For your two weeks in Refrancore, I highly recommend that you buy a copy of the Cadogan guide to Piemonte & The Italian Riviera. This is the only guide book I can think of that includes all the interesting things to do in that area, which is seldom visited by tourists even though it is central to many attractions. In a radius around Refrancore, it is easy to reach some of the best rice country, hazlenut country and red wine country in Italy. I hope you will spend some time in Torino, one of Italy's most enjoyable and stylish cities.

I think you will enjoy will have an extended stay in such an undertouristed part of Italy and Europe. The Cadogon guide would be a tremendous asset, and also covers le Cinque Terre and all of the Riviera.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:54 AM

Love the look of the place in Manarola, I shall be looking forward to hearing about that!
Best wishes and safe travels to you - what an adventure!

Yet another Aussie Dreamer
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:07 AM

Take rick Steves with a grain of salt, IMO, and don't limit yourself to his choices of places to go.
Have a great time!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM

Great, gorgeous, enviable, and so well-planned! Just one minor remark: with just 4 nights in Venice (which isn't much indeed), only go to Burano if you already know Venice really well. Otherwise, you'd waste time on a place that will quite certainly leave you disappointed. Burano is one of those villaged that wow you because they are unspoiled and undiscovered. Which means Burano wowed you how many? 20? 30? 40? years ago. Since the charm was its being unspoiled, it's not very charming any longer. And if you go, then hop over to close-by Torcello. This is the REAL sight in the northern lagoon.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:49 AM

You will be passing by somewhere after Millau and before Venice !

Peter
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:54 AM

Sounds great..come back with lots of tales!

The Lake Como apt and the B&B in MassaLubrense are places I would especially love to visit! I do think that you should add more days to Venice, but it looks like a great trip is ahead!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 05:43 AM

Wow, enjoy! It all sounds great to me
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:50 AM

I agree with Franco about Burano. It photographs beautifully, but the reality is closer to Coney Island.

But Torcello is one of the most moving sights in the area.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks as always, lovely to hear others thoughts. Thanks for the head up on Burano. I will save our time for soaking up Venice and eating as many 'cicchetti' as humanly possible in that time
Thanks for the book suggestion zeppole, really excited about that stop.
AD
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have a fabulous time (how could you not?!?). If you wouldn't mind doing mini blogs on one thread, that would be wonderful and allow us to live vicariously, not that we haven't already!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM

Aw, come on!! Burano is great, IF you get away from the tourist hordes! But, I have to agree, with such a short time in Venice, it's probably OK to give it a miss.

Yet another Aussie.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM

I LOVE the rentals in Venice and Rome. We went to Burano in the evening after most people were gone and found it lovely. I bought a really pretty blouse with heavy lace (i.e., not delicate) on it and have had lots of compliments on it. I also fell in love with some sheets which I could not afford (and did not buy).

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your fabulous trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -