Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   best Arrondissement for paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-arrondissement-for-paris-878312/)

greyhavns Feb 17th, 2011 07:37 AM

best Arrondissement for paris

from all my research, i'm thinking close to the louvre or close to the arc. is this ideal to walk to most of the main sites? we want accessibility though we know the metro is efficient.

PatrickLondon Feb 17th, 2011 07:47 AM

There is nowhere that will put you within walking distance of everything you <i>might</i> to see. Nearer the centre (arr 1- 6) will put you closer to most things.

Here's a couple of guides to the arrondissements:
http://www.parislogue.com/paris-neighborhoods
http://www.parisnet.com/parismap.html

and here's the public transport map:
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/

sassy_cat Feb 17th, 2011 07:48 AM

Lots of people prefer to be in areas where there are things to do AFTER sightseeing. Restaurants, shops, neighbourhoods with bakeries, etc.

The 6th is probably the most popular on Fodors.

PatrickLondon Feb 17th, 2011 07:49 AM

.. might want to see...

Gretchen Feb 17th, 2011 08:09 AM

NOT the Arc--it is 'way out there, and the neighborhood about as sterile as it gets.

Michel_Paris Feb 17th, 2011 08:12 AM

Louvre and Arc area would not be my first choice for a first trip.

4th/5th/6th would be a good choice. You will walk, you will use the Metro no matter where you pick.

Michel_Paris Feb 17th, 2011 08:13 AM

The other good reason for the 6th, amongst others, is that there is an RER station at St Michel (by Notre Dame) that goes directly to the airport (CDG).

StCirq Feb 17th, 2011 08:16 AM

Arc area would be WAY down on my list (never stayed there in more than 100 trips to Paris and never would). Same with the Louvre area. I agree with the person who said that what you do AFTER your day of sightseeing should be more relevant to your hotel pick than being close to the sights (which of course are spread all over anyway). Look in the 4th/5th/6th/7th - or even farther out if you're adventurous and want to save money. You'll be using public transportation, which is wonderful in Paris, anyway.

jamikins Feb 17th, 2011 08:17 AM

4th through 7th would be my choice as well. I'm partial to the 5th, but thats just me.

StuDudley Feb 17th, 2011 08:26 AM

I'll repeat what others have stated - don't stay near the Arch or Louvre - for many reasons. I think the St Germain des Pres area is the best for first-timers.

Stu Dudley

greyhavns Feb 17th, 2011 08:31 AM

so for the parisian experience...and safe, 4-7th is ideal? i also love photography so did want to catch some evening shots of the local sites without having to venture to far on the metro to capture, but possibly just walk. does this matter?

bardo1 Feb 17th, 2011 08:42 AM

"Ideal" depends on the person traveling. For a first visit to Paris, I would suggest somewhere close to the river and the islands. That usually means somewhere in the 4th-7th (especially the 6th) and as close to the river/islands as budget allows.

If you can tell us your budget along with any particular requiremts (private bath, elevator, etc.), we can make some specific recommendations.

greyhavns Feb 17th, 2011 08:44 AM

budget looking around $100-$160 at most per nite. i did look in to an apartment, that's bout 700Meters from the louvre, but for 1st time, seems everyone is suggesting the left of the river.

jolynnderek Feb 17th, 2011 08:53 AM

we are staying in the 7th this summer, we found a great little apartment for 95e nightly-so just under $130 american... which is much less expensive than some hotels(with a washer/dryer). www.vrbo.com is a great site for finding apartments and you can inquire w/the owner as to markets/attractions/neighborhood close by!

Christina Feb 17th, 2011 08:53 AM

There is nothing at all wrong with right of the river, really, if you have an apt you like sort of near the Louvre, is it a very convenioent location. Lots of people stay on the Right Bank, you are worrying about minor things too much and individual opinions. YOu can easily walk and see a lot of things within a couple miles of that point, sure, it is very central.

700 meters isn't exactly right next to the Louvre, though, where exactly is this apt? It could be on the Left Bank with that distance.

StCirq Feb 17th, 2011 09:12 AM

I think you need to get hold of, and immerse yourself in, a detailed map of Paris. Among other things, a map would show you what's nearby the places you're contemplating staying in, and what might be nearby to photograph (though that's the least of your concerns - it's not as though you have to venture more than 10 steps to find something worthy of photographing in Paris).

greyhavns Feb 17th, 2011 09:16 AM

christina, the 700m is north of the louvre, towards the opera area. yeh, i guess i'm easily swayed by everyone's advice. thing is, everyone has valid points and i'm getting all confused. i know ultimately we'll have a good time, just trying to get a solid location is hard.
true stcirq, i imagine even the roads are more picturesque in paris than america, haha. i guess i need to layout our priorities and then use a pro and con chart.

floridapugmom Feb 17th, 2011 09:37 AM

greyhavns; I second the suggestion of looking on www.vrbo.com We rented a studio apartment in the 1st ard. from Laurent this past October and really liked it. The studio had plenty of room from my husband and I and we were able to walk to the Louvre and Galleries Layfette in a short amount of time. There was a great bakery and Italian restaurant across the street. We stayed in a B&B right on the 6th&7th ard. border in 2009 and that was a good area also, but it had more businesses near by than the 1st. Look up lodgings with vrbo.com and view the pictures of what is around them and I am sure you will find something you like. Have a great trip.

greyhavns Feb 17th, 2011 10:28 AM

yeh. while i don't mind VRBO, i found i like reading reviews. the bad ones. i guess i gotta outweigh overall what everyone is suggesting and then ultimately just going with our gut. homeaway.com has sorta been my goto for looking at apartments, but will take another gander at vrbo. i gotta say, it's so awesome fodors and the community of those willing to respond to traveler's qusetions. thanks everyone!

Fodorite018 Feb 17th, 2011 12:34 PM

To give you an idea, on our first trip we stayed in the 14th. Since then we have stayed in the 7th and twice in the 1st. This summer we will be back in the 14th. We have not been disappointed in any of our locations, FWIW. The apt we had last time in the 1st was near the Louvre and we loved the location. So easy to get to so many places from there. So basically I am saying if you like the apt you found, then go for it.