Best area to stay in Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm beginning my search for a hotel or apartment in Santorini. In your opinion, what is the best area for me to look? We have 6 in our party, so I am hoping to find something like an apartment that would hold us all, and would welcome any recommendations. Hotel recommendations would be nice also. Since we would need 3 rooms I would like to find a reasonable place, but also would like a caldera view so I know reasonable may not happen! Thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 03:29 AM

We were there last month, imerovigli or Oia is the best for views.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 05:55 AM

Oia is hard to beat for views.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's what I've gathered in my research, but I'm traveling with my son and his wife (28), and my daughter and friend (19), so was thinking that staying within walking distance of Fira might be fun for them. What do you think?
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 07:45 AM

You have not stated your daily budget or your travel dates. This makes it very difficult to offer good suggestions. Ifestio Villas in Oia has a 3-bedroom villa with a caldera view.

Try using the filter system at www.booking.com to search for something large enough for all of you. Also try www.vrbo.com

Firostefani is the village next to Fira and is just a short 15-minute walk away from nightlife, shops, restaurants and galleries.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 09:39 AM

Debbie, so much of Greece is older buildings (and who wants to stay in a brand-newConcrete-Block Box anyway?), it's VERY hard to find a place that can fit 6 adults in one unit... and still have the location & view & moderate budget. Why consider 2 units? They probably would be side-by-side or within a few yards of one another. Very likely, 2 units would cost LESS than one great biggie one, because of latter's scarcity. And think about it ... a double room for you & husband would provide a bit of privacy, and ability to be on your own schedule (not to mention, your own bathroom!) ... if the 2 couples stayed out nightclubbing, you 2 might be up earlier next day, for peaceful breakfast on yr own. The larger unit could have a kitchenette, and living-area for shared eating & socializing.

In my experience traveling w. 5 in the Isles, this has worked out very well .. lots of time together but also time apart. In order to get accommodation for 6, with sufficient bathrooms & balconies & living space, you're talking almost always a separate Villa. NOt only can this cost €€€, it won't be on the caldera view, because that real-estate is completely filled with multi-unit lodgings.

As I wrote before, Firostephani is the location that works best for you. Why not get busy with booking.com and check out Agnadema, Vallas Apts, Anemomilos Villa, all moderate price ... and as brotherLee requests, please state your daily budget, in Euros; it's essential -- otherwise we may spend time listing places that are too low-price or too pricey. Use this link for instant conversion into Euros: http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help! We did end up finding a place with 2 units and a shared patio as TravelerJan suggested!
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 07:34 AM

Deb. that's wonderful! After you get home, please take a moment to come back to fodors & report how you liked your accommodations & experience. (and BTW how much the rates were). That's how we stay current, and are then able to help others.

As my bonus for you, here are a couple of tips for for dining with a sunset view in Santorini, without a mob scene or breaking the bank ---

• In FIRA TOWN -- This Gem is 1 lane in from the "parapet Path" but the top floor has a terrace with a splendid view http://www.stani.gr Hard to explain location since of course no numbers -- but on sea side, north of Koo Club. Stop by early in day, go up to terrace, reserve table for 6 right by the rail; they WILL honor reserve. 7:30 is good time -- sun sets about 8:40 late may. Food is Authentic Greek Fare, and you can eat yourself silly for €15 apiece.

• In FIROSTEPHANI -- very near your hotel, and right ON the rim path is Santorini's oldest taverna Aktaion, since 1949 or so open year-round -- and for a reason... Good authentic food amazing prices. They have 2 tables for 6 on their little porch, then right by the wall, a couple of tables for 2. To make sure of outside table stop by & reserve and get there BEFORE yr reserve time -- 7 PM is better... we lost our table once. Again great food, bargain, relaxing setting,no crowds.

I don't advise Oia at sunset Because it has been so heavily ballyhooed that its crammed with tourists from 7 - 9 pm, and sunset-view restaurants are very costly, hard to reserve. For people staying in Firostephani, I always advise Oia visits in early AM - get 8:30 bus at stop on main road, you'll have about 90 minutes of relative serenity to wander its lanes & take pix before tour-groups & cruise throngs choke up the paths. There are some Oia cafes with sea view balconies for a respite & snack before leaving.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 02:22 PM

I have chosen Perrisa and a stay at Villa Kasteli

Any frequent visitor to Santorini have a reveiw
on Perrisa or this place i stay at

Thanks for any advise/opinion
Old Nov 24th, 2016, 06:00 AM

Excellent advice, travelerjan. I will note down the name of these two restaurants. Nothing beats an authentic Greek resto with sunset view over Santorini!
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 07:32 PM
kja

@ travelerjan: i just made notes of those restaurants, too -- thanks so much!