Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best area to stay in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-area-to-stay-in-london-954360/)

phillycheese Oct 22nd, 2012 06:58 AM

Best area to stay in London

Hi there

Planning a trip to london next year - what are the best areas to stay in London? All tips are appreciated!

jamikins Oct 22nd, 2012 07:20 AM

There is no one best place to stay. I recommend getting a map and a tube map and finding a hotel in the middle of the yellow circle line - zone 1. You will need to use public transport anyways as London is very large.

You could do a search above as well to get an idea of what has been recommended.

nytraveler Oct 22nd, 2012 07:53 AM

IMHO London is a large city and sights are fairly spread out. We prefer to stay right in the center - but you will get more hotel for your money if you are willing to stay a 15 or 20 minute tube ride away. (Covent Garden, Piccadilly or perhaps Knightsbridge).

So - it depends on your budget - and how you value cost over convenience.

alanRow Oct 22nd, 2012 08:24 AM

Define "best". Best hotels, best location generally, best location for specific things, best location for someone who can't climb stairs...

BigRuss Oct 22nd, 2012 10:08 AM

Bad question. Go search for areas to stay in London - there are ton(ne)s of threads here. What makes it best for you?

And if you think you're going to find ONE area in a city of 7.7 million people that is within walking distance of "all" the main tourist attractions, and theater or concert venues, and the best restos, and the best nightclubs/bars/after-hours places, you're needing to refocus your expectations.

sofarsogood Oct 22nd, 2012 10:30 AM

There are no "best areas"… but of the following list (taken from Fodor's website) Bloomsbury and Kensington (South Kensington) and good choices to begin with.

Bayswater
Bloomsbury
Chelsea
Covent Garden
East End
Holborn
Kensington
Knightsbridge
Marylebone
Mayfair
Notting Hill
Regent's Park and Hampstead
Soho
St. James's
The City
The South Bank
Victoria
Westminster

WillTravel Oct 22nd, 2012 10:35 AM

The two most convenient locations that I have stayed in London are:
High Holborn House (probably not what you want - it's a student residence which has some tourist availability)
http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/reside...ighholborn.htm

Holiday Inn Bloomsbury (won on a Priceline bid)

Put those two locations into Google Maps, look for a hotel in that general area, and you will be very well-served if you are interested in theatre, museums, etc.

Perhaps my favourite general theatre and entertainment spot is this National Theatre complex which is actually south of the river, but you can easily walk across the bridge from both locations:
http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/

Now I am really wanting to revisit London!

phillycheese Oct 22nd, 2012 11:29 AM

Thanks, both of those links are very helpful!!

ParisNiceLondon Oct 22nd, 2012 03:58 PM

I recently stayed at the Paddington Tune Hotel and St. David's Hotel. We were looking for a budget hotel and really liked the area we stayed in -- Paddington. There were a ton of restaurants and three grocery stores in the area (two at Paddington station). There was a cozy pub, the Victoria, just down the street from our second hotel that we also loved. Both hotels were a short walk to Paddington station (made for an easy morning when we caught a super early train to Bath) and around a ten minute walk to Lancaster Gate and Hyde Park. From Lancaster Gate it was short tube ride to St. Paul's. During the day we rarely went back to our hotels except when I spent the morning at Portobello Market and then head back to the hotel before heading to a show in the West End. As long as you're in zone 1 close to a station with several lines I don't think you can go wrong.

latedaytraveler Oct 24th, 2012 03:14 PM

Phillycheese, I always recommend my favorite hotel in London – the STRAND PALACE, about a 3-4 minute walk from Trafalgar Square. It is a large vintage hotel with clean, newly updated rooms and a great breakfast. The price was reasonable.

In my view, you can’t get any more central than that. You are within a mile or less of Westmister, the Palace, St. Paul’s, the City, Whitehall, the theater district, the Thames etc. Of course, the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery are right in Trafalgar Square.

If you click on my name, you could read my 2010 trip report where I describe how much I covered in London from the Strand Palace without even using the Tube. I mapped out my destinations beforehand using Walkit.com.

Wherever you stay, you will love London…

Judith_Hunter Oct 25th, 2012 03:40 AM

It completely depends on what you're into of course, but we stayed in an apartment at St Katharine's Docks and loved the area - right near Tower Bridge so great walking along the river on either side and easy access to Tower Hill tube and to some bus lines as well. The tube made it really easy to get anywhere we wanted to go. The apt was through Hamlet UK if you're interested.

plastic_paddy Oct 25th, 2012 03:48 AM

I stayed at the Radisson-Blu Bloomsbury at the weekend (won a nights stay through work). Apart from the hotel itself which was fantastic, the location was perfect. We walked bacl to Covent Garden and Leicester Sq (and watched Shrek the Musical), and the next day walked up to Camden (may favourite place in London).

Some friends from Brazil usually rent an apartment near Tower Bridge and that sorts them out