Best area to stay in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering renting an apartment for a week in Florence. Which central area would be best? We did something similar in Rome last year and stayed below the Spanish Steps which seemed central and perfect for walking everywhere. Is Florence an easy, walkable city like Rome is? Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Florence is very small and walkable. As long as you're in the city proper, you should be fine as far as being able to walk all around. If you must know of specific areas, look for something close to the river, the Duomo or Piazza della Signoria.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:19 AM

What is the noise like in these central areas though? Especially in warmer months, when people are out later and there are greater numbers of tourists out?

The other thing I wonder about is mosquitos, especially near the river.

Does getting an air-conditioned place with the windows shut address the problem?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM

all depends on how light of a sleeper you are and whether you're right on a busy street or piazza. Ask any hotel you're interested for a quiet room or ask if the rooms are sound-proofed. If AC is a requirement for you then ask for it, but don't expect loud window units to drown out noise.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM

As sandi said, Florence is small and walkable (the parts you're likely to want to see/stay in). Having been to Florence a few times now, I guess I'd probably most want something in Oltarno because I like that area and it's relatively quiet while still easy to get across the bridge(s) to the Uffizi, Duomo, etc.

And I really like the Brancacci chapel in Santa Maria del Carmine. I'd live there if I could.

But any of the central areas on either side of the river would be okay by me.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:01 PM

How about the area by the Pitti Palace?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Get a hotel in a "pedestrian area" (no traffic) with double glazed windows and air conditioning.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Although my favorite area in Florence is the Oltrarno as far as quietness and less tourists, I found staying at the Hotel Globus to be great, because it is very close to the station, and in walking distance to the center (around the corner is the San Lorenzo market), yet is very quiet and the staff is so nice. www.hotelglobus.com