Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best area(s) to stay in London for woman traveling solo (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-area-s-to-stay-in-london-for-woman-traveling-solo-982622/)

CarolynAnn Jun 22nd, 2013 08:06 AM

Best area(s) to stay in London for woman traveling solo

Hi - I will be traveling to London Sep 8-13 by myself. I'm a woman, age 65 and in pretty good shape, so walking isn't a problem. I'll be using the tube to get around. Can someone suggest areas of London that would be safe and convenient to the major tourist sights? Suggestions for hotels or b&bs would also be welcome. I don't have a set itinerary yet - just the usual places. Budget for lodging is around $100-200 - maybe a little more.

Thanks in advance for your help!

janisj Jun 22nd, 2013 08:21 AM

I'd recommend B&B Belgravia. I usually rent flats but last year I couldn't find one for my dates and stayed there during the Queen's jubilee. Could not have been better. Very good location a short walk from Victoria and sloane square tube stations, Victoria coach station and the train station.

Small but not tiny single room, good buffet or cooked breakfasts, free wifi plus a computer in the lounge for guests use. Just a great find and I may stay there again in October.

There are tons of other good/central areas and decent places to stay but start by checking if B&B Belgravia has availability - it does book up.

CarolynAnn Jun 22nd, 2013 09:13 AM

Just checked B&B Belgravia - but it's booked except for odd nights here and there. Too bad because it looks perfect.

enzian Jun 22nd, 2013 09:32 AM

You might try Number Sixty Three, a small hotel run by the Soroptimists ( but open to all). It is right by Lancaster Gate Tube stop, across the street from Hyde Park, and moderately priced.

julia_t Jun 22nd, 2013 09:41 AM

I like Cherry Court Hotel close to Victoria station.

http://www.cherrycourthotel.co.uk/

It's generally well reviewed on tripadvisor. It's a bit shabby and faded, but suits your budget and is pleasant enough if your expectations aren't too high.

janisj Jun 22nd, 2013 09:46 AM

Too bad about the b&b. The problem with Lancaster Gate is its a bear to get to from LHR by tube. If you pre-booked a car service like justairports.com it would be easier but more expensive of course.

I do like the immediate Lancaster Gate area, but it isn't all that convenient to much except Hyde park, shopping along Oxford street and the British museum.

I'd consider staying in South Kensington, Russell Square/Bloomsbury, Covent garden or a few other areas.

janisj Jun 22nd, 2013 10:04 AM

Didn't see julia_t's post - the Cherry Court is a good option. Easy walk to Victoria stn.

enzian Jun 22nd, 2013 11:05 AM

What about Heathrow Express to Paddington and taxi from there? ( For the Number Sixty Three, I mean). I just know that plce comes highly recommended for women traveling solo.

janisj Jun 22nd, 2013 11:38 AM

Enzian: That would cost a lot and still involve quite a bit of schlepping at both the LHR and paddington ends. A car service for a single would cost about the same and be door-to-door - much easier.

Avalon2 Jun 22nd, 2013 12:27 PM

We love the S Ken area and Gkoiucester Rd area right near tubs and many bus lins lots af cafes and services.We have stayed the last few years at Millenniun Gloucester so we get very good service but so does everyone!! the Staff is great rooms fairly large we always stay in Club rooms
to get included breakfast, internet , drinks before dinner and tea and coffee all day London town .com often has good prices!

thursdaysd Jun 22nd, 2013 01:13 PM

Since I've been flying into Heathrow instead of Gatwick I've switched from the Victoria area to Bloomsbury, and prefer it. Very convenient to sights and restaurants by tube, bus or foot. I (mid-sixties, solo female) take the tube in. I usually stay at the Ridgemount, but the Arosfa just up the street is a bit posher although I prefer the bathrooms at the Ridgemount. Single rooms are really small, but how long are you in the room?