Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Anti-Anxiety prescription for traveling? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-anti-anxiety-prescription-for-traveling-610835/)

birthdaygirlstrip Apr 26th, 2006 09:57 AM

Best Anti-Anxiety prescription for traveling?

I have developed a slight nervousness when flying in planes.....will be seeing my doc for my routine check up and wanted to talk to him about this. I do not want a prescription for any sort of sleep aid that may make me too drowsy upon landing...but rather something that will help with anxiety.

What are your suggestions for those of you who have used anti-anxiety prescriptions for flights?

mijols3 Apr 26th, 2006 10:02 AM

Fortunatley I have not had to take anything for almost a year now, but, back in the day xanax was my best-friend:
"Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is an anti-anxiety agent benzodiazepine used primarily for short-term relief of mild to moderate anxiety and nervous tension. Alprazolam is also effective in the treatment of activity depression or panic attacks"

Neopolitan Apr 26th, 2006 10:04 AM

I have something that works great and doesn't require a prescription. It's called Dewars. A few of those over ice and I'm relaxed as can be.

flsd Apr 26th, 2006 10:07 AM

Alcohol and drugs? Wow, those are some great choices!

I sometimes get a little nervous when flying, too, so I ask God to protect me and my fellow passengers. It doesn't cost a thing, and there's no pesky hangover.

cls2paris Apr 26th, 2006 10:08 AM

I sometimes have an anxiety issue and I have Xanax. It is a low dose and I usually only need one. I haven't needed one the last couple of trips, but it is in my purse just in case.

PalQ Apr 26th, 2006 10:09 AM

Whatever works for you is great - drugs, booze or prayer or all three!

GiuliaPiraino Apr 26th, 2006 10:11 AM

I agree Xanax is a gift from above. It's not enough to make you sleepy or knock you out, but it makes you really not care. When we went to check in for our flight home and the girl said we couldn't go because we needed paper tickets and all we had was an email with an electronic ticket I was cool as a cucumber....xanax baby!

Guy18 Apr 26th, 2006 10:13 AM

I love my xanax as well. However, it definitely DOES make me sleepy, which is a big part of why I take it on long flights.

MichelleY Apr 26th, 2006 10:16 AM

I just posted this on the Ambien thread. Maybe someone could help here:

Quick question: I went on a field trip with my daughters class a few years back. We were on a sailing ship in the SF BAy. I took a Bonine for sea sickness. At lunch I had a cocktail and it knocked me out for the rest of the afternoon & evening. Should I try this on our trip to Spain in June?? I can never sleep on the plane and deal w/ jet lag for several days.

Thanks,

MY

JAGIRL Apr 26th, 2006 10:23 AM

Prayer and just letting it go.

Oh...and remembering that if the plane does go down there's nothing you can do about it!

Scarlett Apr 26th, 2006 10:27 AM

I like the way Neo thinks ((D))

I take xanax if I am particularly nervous, but I seem to be getting over that..so I just hang on tight to my poor husbands hand when the plane takes off.. Now my husband might wish I took the xanax as his hand looks kinda beat up :)

birthdaygirlstrip Apr 26th, 2006 10:41 AM

Is Xanax stronger than oaxezepam? I have tried oxazepam and lorazepam and they both just made me spacey--but did not help with the racing heartbeat. :(

GiuliaPiraino Apr 26th, 2006 10:45 AM

Michelle,
I suffer from terrible motion sickeness and I didnt' like the way the patch made me feel. I found this amazing gum at the pharmacy in Italy, I think it's simply called "travel gum" but I'll let you know it's exact name. I was amazed! Zero side effects. It makes you mouth numb for the first 30 seconds, then after that it was like regular gum. It was so liberating, I could enjoy car rides again!

G_Hopper Apr 26th, 2006 10:55 AM

You may want to take along a few bags of chamomile tea - it's known for its relaxing qualities. Or there are lots of "calming" tea blends you can find at natural food stores.

This link shows a few that are available:
http://tinyurl.com/m4bb2

suze Apr 26th, 2006 10:58 AM

They are all in the same family.

Xanax is benzodiazepine, Valium is Diazepam. If the two "-zapams" you mentioned above did not suit you, likely these two wouldn't either.

JandaO Apr 26th, 2006 11:01 AM

Author: flsd
amen

Lauricelli Apr 26th, 2006 11:03 AM

You can try the Bach flower Rescue Remedy. It's homeopathy. No Rx req. No side effects and handy in case of emergency. You can get it at places like Whole Foods market etc. Should be about $15.00 for the bottle. It's small and easy to travel with. I keep one in my purse for things like flying, going to the dentist etc.

birthdaygirlstrip Apr 26th, 2006 11:11 AM

Have tried many different herbal rememdies induling the rescue remedy---those products usually do not work well for me, or I end up having to take such a high dosage that it just makes me tired. :(

rex Apr 26th, 2006 11:12 AM

This is a question for a physician or other clinician who knows you and who can take at least a minimum of history - - not other travelers. I'm glad you're going to be discussing this with your doctor.

Since the flight you're taking (eastbound) trans-atlantic is overnight (or at least I assume that it will be, since 95% of eastbound trans-atlantic flights are overnight), sleep IS an appropriate goal, in conjunction with reduction of your anxiety.

There is a slightly separate question as to what anti-anxiety approach might be best for your return (westbound), daytime flight - - when you might reasonably wish to avoid sleeping (thorough) the (entire) flight.

Best wishes,

Rex

Lauricelli Apr 26th, 2006 11:15 AM

Whoops, sorry, didn't read correctly the prescription part of your post.
I think you should have a personal massage therapist travel with you : )
At least get a massage before you go. I saw chair massage set up in Seattle airport and thought that was a great idea.
Good luck.