Best Amalfi Town to stay in

Old Sep 21st, 2021, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Best Amalfi Town to stay in

Hello Fodorites,

We are planning a trip to the Amalfi Coast for May and plan on splitting our time between Sorrento (4 nights) and an Amalif coast town (4 nights). It has been 20 years since we have been to Sorrento (which we like). We also stayed in Ravello while on that trip and stopped in Positano for a quick visit. We had a car at the time and do not plan to have one on this trip. I just remember the many steps getting up and down while in Positano so want to stay somewhere else along the coast. I'm looking for suggestions on another town. We are thinking of either Amalfi, Atrani or Praino. Would appreciate your feedback on these towns and any hotel/b&b recommendations. After this we plan to pick up a car in Salerno and head to the Puglia region.

Also, has anyone walked the Path of Gods trail? How difficult is it to get there? We are not serious hikers but do enjoy some hiking.

Many thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 2014 when we did the hike, we were all in our early to late sixties. We were not avid hikers or walkers at all but we were in reasonable shape. We did buy some good boots that we dragged all over Italy in our suitcases and they worked very well for us. The way we did it (taxi to Bomerano, walk to Nocelle then bus back to Positano where we were staying) there is some up and down walking but not as much as we thought there might be. We just went slow and steady and had no trouble at all. It took us three hours to walk from Bomerano to Nocelle and we spent a lot of time just enjoying the incredible views.

Here is a link to our pictures from that day showing some of the up and down spots. Hopefully they can help you decide if you want to do it. We had a great day!

https://john183italy2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/416
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 07:36 AM

I think in general, anywhere with ferry service is fine (ruling out Praiano). I prefer Atrani to Amalfi and it's just a 15 minute walk, so you still get the convenience of Amalfi. I would flesh out what days trips you will be doing, as that is the most important factor in choosing bases.
There are two books that full describe all of the Amalfi coast and island hikes, published by Sunflower and Cicerone. If Path of the Gods looks too strenuous, there are at least a couple that originate in Amalfi--one has a lot of shade (valle of the ferriere), which is nice. You can also take bus or ferry to Minori or Maiaori and walk back to Amalfi, via Ravello (path of the lemons).

After you pick up the car, try to stop in Paestum to see the temples--amazing!
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you John and Yorkshire. The Path of Gods looks doable for us. We are 70+ but in good shape and have done a lot of hiking these past 2 years. Also, thanks for the info on the other trails in the area. We will check them out. Also we'll take a look at Atrani. While we like a little bit of activity in the towns, are not fond of lots of crowds. We do want to visit Positano & Ravello again but would like to see Praiano and Amalfi on this trip. I've read that there are plenty of water taxi's in Praiano but not sure how convenient that will be.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

John, your pics are great. Views are spectacular. Reminds me of the views along the Cinque Terre. Have you done the hike to the Cinque Terre towns? I wonder how you would compare the hike. We did the first 4 towns and some of that hiking was really tough. We stopped at Vernaza and took the train back to Santa Margherita.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 06:18 AM

Thanks Karen. In 2012 we hiked the high trail (6d) from Volastra (took a bus up to Volastra from Manarola) to Corniglia. The short answer is we thought the POG hike was a little harder than the CT hike although we did not think either was difficult. There are several ways to do the POG hike but the way we did it as I described above worked very well for us.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 07:49 AM

Since you enjoy hiking you may have already found this thread I started with some other hikes we have done and where many fodorites posted some incredibly beautiful pictures of hikes they have done. Also there is some discussion in the thread about the POG hike that you might find relevant.

Walks/Easy Hikes We Have Enjoyed
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 08:08 AM

I think if you can hike at CT, you'll be fine hiking on the AC, but of course follow the usual: proper footwear, water, tell your hotel where you are going, etc. The two books I mentioned will give you exact info on distance and elevation, or I am 100% sure some travel blogger (or a dozen) has a post on their POG walk. I find a lot of into that way with a google search.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 12:41 PM

We have stayed in Atrani at La Scogliera rooms (https://www.lascoglierarooms.it) and love it and the family who run it. We were there 2 years ago and will return next month (so excited!).

Atrani is a perfect small town yet a 10 minute walk from Amalfi, making it removed from the crowds but still accessible. And the guest house is perfectly sited and the family is lovely.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't ever remember seeing a trip report from someone who disliked any of the places along the Amalfi Coast. It may not be possible to make a wrong choice among them.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you John, Yorkshire, progol and AJPeabody for your feedback. I have been researching hikes in the area since I read your initial comments and believe we are close to narrowing down our option for our stay. I have always gotten great feedback from this site and appreciate you!