Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Best Amalfi Coast Towns (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/best-amalfi-coast-towns-686226/)

TimH Mar 8th, 2007 05:48 PM

Best Amalfi Coast Towns

Unfortunately the hotel that we REALLY want to stay in on Capri (Capri Palace) is requiring a three night minimum and this will leave us with ONLY two nights (and two days) in Positano (Le Sirenuse). Besides Positano, what other towns would you reccomend if I only have two days? I am tossing around Sorrento, Amalfi and Ravello, but can't decide which would be a better Amalfi Coast experience? Can I do all of them?

Additionally I have rented a car in Sorrento and will drive it to Naples Airport on the thrid day.

ekscrunchy Mar 8th, 2007 06:55 PM

Are you renting a car only to drive to the airport?

Do you have two nights in addition to the two nights at Le Sireneuse in Positano? Or are you asking which towns to visit on day trips from Positano?

Weadles Mar 8th, 2007 07:02 PM

Since you're leaving out of Naples, it would probably make the most sense to stay in Sorrento, which is about 45 min from the airport. From Sorrento, you can easily day trip to Pompeii ( 30 min by train) or by boat or bus to Amalfi ( about an hour or so, and I'd recommend the boat!).

TimH Mar 9th, 2007 03:38 AM

We are renting a car to drive the Amalfi Coast and be able to leave and go to each town on our own schedule. We are then driving ourselves to the Naples Airport on the third day in the early morning.

We are using Positano as are base and this will not be able to change. We only have two days in the area which includes the two nights at Le Sirenuse. We are not planning on going to Pompeii (not our thing), but would like to be able to go to Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano and Ravello, but might not be able to cover all of them. If we had to only go to one or two of these towns which ones should we hit? Hope this clears things up. Thanks for your replies!!!

Steve_James Mar 9th, 2007 04:11 AM

Hi Tim - Distances are short (Amalfi: 30-40 mins; Ravello: 1 hr; Sorrento: 30-40 mins) - so you'll have no trouble visiting them all in 2 days.

Amalfi and Ravello are close by, and you can easily combine them for a day or half-day trip, spending a couple of hours in each.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

ira Mar 9th, 2007 05:44 AM

Hi T,

I urge you to rethink having a car on the AC, especially if you are going in season, when the coast road is jammed and there is no place to park.

Go to www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com and check driving times from Sorrento to Amalfi - double them to account for traffic.

For the cost of a 3-day car rental, you can have a limo pick you up at your hotel and take you to the Naples airport.

((I))

Weadles Mar 9th, 2007 06:30 AM

I agree with Ira. It once took us almost an hour to drive a few short blocks in downtown Sorrento. It's really a nightmare in the summer months!

Also agree with Steve James that Amalfi and Ravello can be done in one day trip from Positano.

One last suggestion- try to get up to Montepertuso for lunch or dinner. It's only 15 min from Positano, and has many amazing restaurants. DONNA ROSA and IL RITROVO, are just two of them.

ira Mar 9th, 2007 08:05 AM

Good idea from weadles.

Some of the restaurants offer car service from/to Positano.

((I))

mw2006 Mar 9th, 2007 09:21 AM

We didn't really like Positano very much when we stayed there for our honeymoon in September. Wished we'd split our time between Capri and Ravello.

We though Amalfi was pretty gross. Not much to see and not a very attractive town. Ravello was breathtaking. And so different. Very quiet. The villas are beautiful. You could happily spend a quiet day there.

I would never drive on the Amalfi coast though. The roads are nuts and Italian drivers are even crazier.

Sorrento is a bigger town and not so picturesque. It can be a good base, but not a top pick among those you mentioned for a visit.

I can't recommend Ravello enough though.

ekscrunchy Mar 9th, 2007 09:27 AM

MW..can you elaborate more on why you hated Amalfi? I am thinking about this as a possible base for a trip next spring.... There seem to be such divergent views on the particular towns...

TuckH Mar 9th, 2007 09:35 AM

IMO Amalfi is a very nice town (so is Ravello). But I don't think it would make a good base.

We stayed above Sorrento - I think it's called Piano di Sorrento - enabling us to be able to avoid the congestion of Sorrento. Also, we could easily daytrip from there in any direction (including to Pompeii).

sledge Mar 9th, 2007 09:36 AM

Would appreciate some advise for two seniors (67/72)who ain't dead yet and don't want to be after a 10-12 day trip (incl travel from Houston) to the Amalfi Coast. Walking up steep hills or steeps to hotels, attractions may prove unenjoyable for us, so what might your recommendations be for basing in Sorrento? Positano? Other? We want to take in Rome for 3-4 days either on arrival or prior return date. Any suggestions from you seasoned travellers (we're not!) would be appreciated. We're going first of October this year. Thanks

ekscrunchy Mar 9th, 2007 09:40 AM

But Tuck, why would Amalfi not be a good base? It would appear the the town not focused solely on tourism as are a couple of the other places.....sounds more interesting to me than, say, Positano which I did not care for years ago since there seemed to be very little local flavor....

TuckH Mar 9th, 2007 09:49 AM

>why would Amalfi not be a good base?<

I dunno - I guess because it's at one end of the AC.

As I said, we went to Pompeii (and Vesuvio) and we also spent enjoyable time on the Sorrentine Peninsula (Massa Lubrense). We left our car and luggage with our hosts for a two-night stay on Capri. They gave us a lift to and from the Sorrento pier.

steviegene Mar 9th, 2007 09:50 AM

I do not agree AT ALL that amalfi was gross!
It was a much more "real" town than either Ravello or Positano - but certainly not anywhere near "gross".

With 2 days on the coast....
I would spend one day and take a daytrip by bus to Amalfi and Ravello. Maybe also stop at some of the smaller towns like Minori.
The other day I would spend exploring Positano, shopping, having leisurely lunch and take a 1/2 day boat trip along the coast.

ekscrunchy Mar 9th, 2007 09:55 AM

I am not sure about Amalfi being at one end of the Amalfi Coast; it looks like it is near the center....

TuckH Mar 9th, 2007 10:20 AM

For sledge: we're in your age bracket. I'd suggest staying on the Isle of Capri. Sensational scenery and atmosphere - no vehicular traffic (there are steps but they're optional).
It'll prove to be very enjoyable for you!

For ekscrunchy: There's not much to the east of Amalfi - Positano would be the center (agree with you about Positano).

steviegene Mar 9th, 2007 10:20 AM

ek-
Generally the most "visited" areas of the Amalfi Coast are between Sorrento and Amalfi.
So Amalfi is considered on the far end of things.
Positano would be considered more central.

jjkbrook Mar 9th, 2007 10:25 AM

Im really unclear about what the OP is planning - it sounds like he is locked into 3 days in Capri and 2 in Positano?
If so, I see no point in a car (take the boat from Capri to Positano) and, with only two days for the Amalfi Coast, his schedule will be full up with exploring that area, Amalfi, Ravello, etc. Theres lots of advice on this Board about how to get to the airport from Positano not involving a car.

Have to say we are heading to Ravello shortly and will have a car (part of our deal), but are unclear how much we will be using it. There is so much to do in terms of walking, eating exploring in the Ravello/Amalfi area that Im not even certain we will make it as far as Positano (unless we decide to hike the Sentieri degli Dei)!

mw2006 Mar 9th, 2007 10:33 AM

While we were in Amalfi, it was crowded and dirty and not very picturesque at all (other than the duomo). It seemed a little like a tourist town well past it's prime. JMO.

We regretted having spent any time there and wished we'd given the full day to Ravello.

Amalfi isn't an awful town, but in comparison to your other options, I'd skip it.

Ravello was a highlight of the trip.