Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best airport to fly into, for Cinque Terre?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'll be flying in from the US - does anyone know which airport is the best one to fly into to get to Cinque Terre easily by train? I thought it might be Genoa's airport, because it is closest, but a lot of places seem to say to fly into Malpensa airport in Milan or Pisa.

And could anyone provide detailed directions on how to take the train from the airport to Monterossa? Either from Genoa airport, or whichever airport would be the easiest...
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Hi Jean - Pisa and Genoa are the nearest. You can reach Monterosso by train from either city.

There is a regular airport shuttle bus from Genoa airport to Genoa P.P station. From Pisa airport you can train or bus to Pisa Centrale station for trains to Monterosso.

For train timetables see:
http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve! That is very helpful. Sounds like flying into Genoa will be the easiest for us.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:02 AM

From the USA Delta has direct flights in to Pisa 4 days weekly from JFK--sure beats connections in Europe.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM

If you decide to fly to Genoa-this is the timetable of the airport bus: http://www.amt.genova.it/rete_e_orari/volabus.asp

If you choose Pisa, there is a train station right inside the airport, although you will have to change trains at Pisa's central station.

In either case, try to stop a few hours to visit. Both genoa and Pisa are very intreresting cities with lots to see.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

bobthenavigator - very good point about avoiding connections in Europe, don't know why I didn't consider that. The flight to Genoa stops over in Paris (the last time we did that, we were delayed 12 hours!) I'm in Philadelphia so the direct flight from JFK to Pisa isn't the perfect solution either, unfortunately.

I may now opt for flying into Milan, since I found some flights that fly direct from Philadelphia to Milan. It's a longer train ride from Milan to Monterosso, but I think it might be better than having to connect in Paris and risking delays or lost luggage there.

If the train from Milan to Monterosso stops in Genoa, we may take a couple hours to see the city, as furs suggested, if it's convenient. Perhaps in Milan as well.

Does anyone know if they have lockers at the train stations where we can keep our luggage, while we walk around a bit?
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM
DRJ

IMO, JFK is a zoo because so many Europe-bound flights late afternoon and early evening jam up the gates and hamper arrivals' gate space. Our arriving plane was stranded on the ground at JFK and we missed the PSA flight. If I had to try to connect again I'd arrive JFK at least three hours early.

There is (or was) a bus directly from Malpenas to Genoa train stations. Try the Malpensa website for times.
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I know that they have a locker at the Brignole Station, which in many ways is a better departure point for touring Genova than Principe.

There are also flights to Genova airport (GOA) from London (gatwick), Munich, Madrid and Rome. (And I think perhaps Frankfurt and Barcelona).
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM

Flying into Genoa is not easy, even from Europe. There simply are not many flights and very few destinations.

Your most practical one-stop connections from Philly would probably be Air France, via Paris or US Airways to Munich, connecting with Lufthansa. There are no flights from Frankfurt, so that option is out. I would go with Air France, as it can be done with a 1:20 connection (which is doable, despite what many say), versus either a 35 minute or 3:35 connection at Munich, though the Munich option would be painless if you prefer a longer connection time.

Theoretically, you could also connect in Rome, but this would mean switching from US Airways to Alitalia. Since this is a cross-alliance flight, the pricing may not be great. Also, this option requires either a tight (1:15 - tight considering it is cross-alliance) or very long (4:45) connection. Finally, you could connect in Gatwick, but this is again a cross-alliance flight, requires a 3:15 connection, and includes BA, who has a reputation for not wanting to interline your bags to non-alliance carriers.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM

People have their comfort zones and if you are checking luggage, perhaps you need more time than most.

But three hour layover is enough for me to get through Gatwick, and I've had more than one person switch in Roma with only a 55 minute layover (but they were flying Alitalia all the way, with checked luggage).

I personally like non-stops, and getting my feet back on the ground, and taking a train, so I generally use Milan (although I might start trying Pisa).

Anyway, not everybody is coming from Philly. There are 12 flights a day from Rome, 3 flights a day from Paris, 3 from Munich, one from Madrid, one from London (and one from Stansted ).
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM

PS: If you miss a connection in Rome, you just go on the next one.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM

zeppole: Fair enough about not everyone flying from Philly, but the person asking the question is flying from Philly so it makes sense to let them know what their options are from Philly, don't you think?

Indeed, looking at it some more pretty much rules out Gatwick, since you can't make a connection back to Philly in the same day. Similarly, connecting in Madrid forces a full-day stopover on the way over, since the flight to Genoa doesn't leave until 8pm.

I stand by the statement that flying into Genoa is a pain from just about anywhere, but will insert the caveat that it is convenient from Rome and relatively convenient from Paris and Munich, all of which were noted as possible connection points.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I just found non-stop flights from Philly to Milan on US Airways for only $70 more than the 1-stop flights. For just a few more dollars, a direct flight is the most appealing to us, since it's an overnight flight, and it minimizes the risk of delays.

Zeppole - We may very well use those lockers at Brignole station - thanks for that info!

DRJ and travelgourmet- Many thanks for the information on the connections and flights. travelgourmet - I was actually considering that AirFrance flight via Paris - almost booked it before I found the direct flight to Milan.
DRJ - that Malpensa website is very helpful, thanks so much!

So if you had to choose, on the way from Malpensa airport to Cinque Terre, would you choose to stop and visit the city in Milan or would you choose to see Genoa?

We probably won't have time to do both if we want to get in to Monterosso at a decent hour. So we can only choose one! Would love to get some opinions...
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM

travelgourmet, no problema. I was only taking issue with your opening line, which seemed sort of categorical.

Jeanyb,

I would go to Milano, even though I obviously have got nothing against Genova. But Genova is VERY hard to see as a quick tour. It's main attraction is its extensive medieval "caruggi" -- meaning, lots, and lots and lots of tiny alleyways, in which are hidden fascinating stores and chocolate makers and even some dicey characters, as well as fab churches. But it's really hard to know where to go -- not to mention if you are jet lagged -- and it's a hike from the station.

By contrast, Milan (which was heavily bombed) as sidewalks! And a subway! And a handful of knockout sights all right next to each other -- and if you get tired, there's no end of elegant bars to put up your feet and watch the passing fashion parade.

But you know what I really think? I think you should just come here, and either do a day trip to Genova if you are super motivated, or leave time to see Milano on the way back. It's just so nice here. And if you are jet lagged, you can just look at the sea.
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM

We flew from Dulles to Paris to Pisa via Air France and that worked fine. One day trip from Pisa was to Cinque Terre by train. I don't have anything in my notes saying how long that took or if we had to change trains. But I think it was between 1 and 2 hours with no stops (check trenitalia to be sure).

If you are in Philly, the non-stop from NYC to Pisa sounds good (if you don't have to get up at 0 dark hundred to make the plane!).

If you have time in Pisa, run up to the Leaning Tower!
Old May 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM

"O dark hundred!!' I love it!
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

zeppole, thanks - that is very helpful!! Milan sounds more doable for a quick stop. I guess we will play it by ear - we'll see how we feel after the flight. And you're right, we may feel a lot more like relaxing by the beach rather than rushing a quick city tour, after a long overnight flight. And like you said, we could always see Milan on the way back.

Thanks TDudette for the info on Pisa! I'm not sure if we'll have time to visit Pisa as well though, since we only have 2 days in Cinque Terre.