Best airport Car services

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 06:46 PM
ksm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best airport Car services

Which car service is the most recommended to get from Gatwick Airport to
London, England SW1H 0QW United Kingdom? I know there are cheaper options than a car service, but I have decided that is the way I want to go for this trip. Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 06:57 PM

www.justairports.com

We used them in July, twice. Very punctual, good drivers, thought the price was reasonable. Worth it not to have to shlep luggage etc when you are tired.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 07:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
justairports is one of the best -- but you do realize a car serivce will take MUCH longer than the train. Gatwick is a lot farther from central London than Heathrow is and there is no motorway or quick driving route.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM
ksm
Original Poster

Thanks. Has anyone tried the Uber app in London area?
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 10:31 PM

No pointless gadgets change the facts:

- Gatwick's not in London, and Uber really doesn't work around Gatwick

- Getting a car from Gatwick to a hotel a hop skip and jump from Victoria station is, unless you're disabled, insane. Cars take four times as long as the sensible strategy of getting a train, and cost about four times as much.

- Even within London, the benefits of Uber are at present trivial and undemonstrated. Scarcely any suppliers (licensed or not) use the system, which costs passengers more than licensed minicabs, is more of a hassle than hailing a black cab on the street and completely lacks the consumer protection Transport for London offers users of both minicabs and black taxis.

Just about the only benefit Uber offers in London is for getting a taxi late at night if you're neurotic about going outside and hailing one - or too lazy to use TfL's licensed minicab system.

Otherwise, the toy's designed for places with useless public transport, unsafe streets or paranoid inhabitants - like New York and San Francisco. No evidence its inventors know anything about getting around a civilised city.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 10:49 PM

Just to expand the previous comment.

You might be misled by Uber's promotional material into thinking it DOES operate for Gatwick. Uber lets users in London seek drivers prepared to drive TO Gatwick: it's effectively incapable of letting users in Gatwick find drivers prepared to drive FROM Gatwick into town.

Uber's anti-passenger business model (it won't quote fares beforehand) is especially poisonous on the route from London to Gatwick. Typical traffic can easily create an Uber fare three times what car services like Just-Airports guarantee on that route - which of course works out about ten times what the train would cost.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 02:31 AM

I just booked a driver to take daughter and me from heathrow from justairports

We were going to take the tube..I had no problem with this years ago but now I have a sore wrist and am concerned about hauling luggage up from the tube to ground level in Leicester sq
The fare quoted is 43 pounds
25%more if using as credit card
Pick up is 90 mins from arrival time
We are coming fro terminal three and will meet driver at mark and Spencer's store

It's a lot of money but after long flight from Australia plus my carpel tunnel wrist it might be money well spent
Will see ...
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Lanejohann, we paid cash. Driver was on time and drive into city was quick and uneventful.

Worth every penny to me after a long flight and with luggage in tow.
Have seen other people struggling on to the tube with bags, have done it myself in the past, no thanks.

Enjoy London!
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Lanejohann: that makes sense - since you were at LHR. But the OP is asking about LGW which is a completely different kettle of fish. A car service really makes no sense from LGW, especially to where the OP is staying.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 08:30 AM

I have to agree with other posters. I can see the attraction of just settling down in a car and letting the driver get on with it, but it really isn't very hard work to get self and luggage down to the station at Gatwick Airport, into the terminus nearest the hotel and then into a cab to the hotel - and you'd be checked in and having the drink of your choice while the car's still crawling through Streatham High St (and eating up your money).
Old Jun 12th, 2014, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's useful for Gatwick! Triangled.