Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best airfare deal to Manchester or London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Russell

We're planning to visit York and the lakes and thought that Manchester would be the gateway of choice. From what I can tell, however, the least expensive June/July fares from NYC run close to $800. Flights are about $50 cheaper to London, but that will add substantially to the drive north. So I'm wondering if there is a reliable source of less expensive tickets that I've overlooked. I've already tried Orbitz, Expedia, the Travelsite, Cheap Tickets.com, farechase.com, sidestep, virgin atlantic, and British Airways. All of these display published airfares, so it seems possible that there may be less expensive consolidator tickets available. I just don't know where. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Sherry

Look at Icelandair. They fly from New York and list London, but maybe it is one of the smaller airports that Easy Jet or some other regional carriers use and would be closer to your destination. At least out of London proper. They are listing fares to London through August from New York for $499 plus up to $120 for taxes. That is a little more reasonable. Good luck,

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Ann

United flies direct from Washington to Manchester, so maybe they also fly there from NYC. The fares are usually comparable to London, but do run a little more, as you've said. It's well worth $50 to fly to Manchester and avoid the whole Heathrow debacle.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Russell

I just booked British Airways. Current promotion, booked on-line and with e-ticket, was $658 from JFK to Manchester in early July. Quite a good deal, especially compared to far higher prices generally prevailing at that time.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:54 AM
Ann

I just booked on BA to London in June, and got $611. Not great, but much better than it had been.