Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best 2 places in Europe to take college daughter

Jan 21st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

My daughter and I will be traveling to Europe end of April/beginning of May 2007 and will travel to 3 countries. We have chosen Paris, France and are thinking about Milan, Italy and ??? We would like a city that has lots of shopping and interesting places to visit. Any suggestions?
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM

Rome is always a good choice.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:11 AM

You forgot to say Rome, Italy. ;-)

Anyway, I'd second Rome (Italy) on both counts, lots of shopping and interesting places to visit.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:53 AM

You could also try London, England (or should that be London UK?)
Edinburgh, Scotland and Dublin, Ireland might also be worth a visit.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM

I would say Rome.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM

"You could also try London, England (or should that be London UK?)"

Well, both are equally correct, Josser. I'd argue that "London" alone would suffice.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
lawchick

Even though this is a European board, we don't want individuals getting confused and booking flights for :
London, Arkansas
London, Kentucky
London, Ohio
London, Ontario, Canada
London, Texas
London, West Virginia

Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:29 AM

The best European cities I've found for shopping with teenage daughters are

Barcelona
Paris
Dublin
London

All have lots of interesting places to visit as well.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:45 AM

"Even though this is a European board, we don't want individuals getting confused and booking flights for :
London, Arkansas
London, Kentucky
London, Ohio
London, Ontario, Canada
London, Texas
London, West Virginia "

Yes, well, there's a place in England called Hollywood, but I don't suppose anyone in conversation would confuse it with its more illustrious cousin.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM

Galeries Lafayette in Paris

Top Shop, Oxford Street, London
Camden Market, Camden, London
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:48 AM

Oh dear, Kate, the irony fairy forgot to visit you when you were born ;-)
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:05 AM

..I wouild sratch Milan as a city on a first if you visit Rome. I know she is into shopping but there is more than enough in Rome as well as many interesting tourist sights, Unless you have a specific "in" with the local fashion industry, I see no point of Milan on a quick first time visit.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:10 AM

So that's why I didn't see that big Hollywood Sign!
There didn't seem to be many stretch limos either.
It really is very confusing.
BTW, here is a website with photos of Hollywood
http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/hollywood.htm
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:12 AM

I agree that it's always best to precise the state or country after the name of a city, because since 1984 I thought Paris was in Texas until I discovered recently that France has a city with the same name.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:17 AM

Don't mock, oh those who invited the Irony Fairy to their christening,

Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/3c6fyb

A young couple ended up in Sydney, Canada, rather than the one in Australia.
They actually ended up having a good time there.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:34 AM

I have teenage daughters who also love to shop. However, with globalization (we live in a major metropolitan area with great shopping), we've noticed that we can often get the same things at home cheaper. If you're looking for a great city in which to sightsee, Rome can't be beat, but we found the shopping disappointing. I'm assuming you mean shopping for clothing, shoes, etc and not tourist trinkets. (You will find lots of religious objects--often made elsewhere-- at reasonable prices.) The only exception I can think of is "money is no object" designer shopping which was beyond our means. You'll also need to be mindful of the different customs in shops there (generally no touching the merchandise, occasionally visible expressions of disappointment if you try things on but don't buy). One of my girls bought a dress for the equivalent of about $175 only to have it fall apart shortly after she got home...

London DOES have great (generally expensive) shopping (though again, much of the merchandise is available around the world), but you will find some bargains at some of the funkier venues such as Camden Market and places like Top Shop which cater to young people. Do check out the sales racks, too, my daughter got some deals. Just remember those prices are in pounds!!

Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:52 AM
lawchick

Dublin is great for shopping - and is generally cheaper for clothes than a lot of the continent.

But I would go to Paris and Rome and somewhere germanic - like Vienna - if it's their first trip to Europe

Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:26 AM

Hi

Sound like a wonderful trip. How much time do you have for this trip? My wife and I went to Paris in April last year. I have posted a trip report with some pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there. If this is your first time in Paris you should also check out my Google map of Paris on http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . It shows where some of the attractions are located.

I would also suggest going to Rome. We went there during the summer of 2005 and it is a wonderful city. Here is a trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm and a interactive Google map that I have made http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm .

We also went to Milan a few years back and you can see the trip report here: http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_milan.htm . Remember to book in advance if you want to see the Last supper

Regards
Gard
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:26 AM

American's going to europe to shop... my new daughter in law came over here with nearly empty bags to shop! She lives in Munich.
London - Paris - Rome.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:34 AM

That's a good point. Due to the exchange rate it makes a lot more sense for Europeans to go shopping in the US than the other way round.

anway. I'd go for London, Paris, and Rome. 3 very different cities with lots to appeal to all ages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO