Reload this Page >

Best 10 days in France by Train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Andy

Hello, My wife and I are planning a trip to France for 10 days starting the second week of May starting in Paris and flying out of Nice. We will be TRAVELING BY TRAIN and are already planning on 3-4 nights in Paris and 1-2 nights in Nice. What would be some other areas that you would recommend that are easily reachable by train (without renting a car)? Thank you very much for any comments!<BR>Andy

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Jeri

You should look at Karen Brown's book as she offers an itinerary of the countryside by train.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:58 PM
Christina

That's not too difficult, I'd just look at that line and see the towns or cities on it. IMO you definitely do not have time to start taking trains off into other directions other than that route (ie, no Loire, Alsace, Brittany, etc.). Here are the main ones I can think of -- Lyon, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence, Marseille, Cannes, Antibes, Monaco; Arles is off that line but not much, so is do-able. The first three in that list would be my top choices.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Grasshopper

In between Paris and Nice I'd be sure to spend at least 2 nights in Lyon. It's a 2 hour TGV ride by train. If you can, stay in Vieux Lyon.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
elvira

You could even swoop through Switzerland and a bit of Italy - check out the Eurail Saverpass that covers 3 adjoining countries...<BR><BR>Or Paris&gt;Bordeaux&gt;Avignon then on to Nice...<BR><BR>Or Paris&gt;Barcelona&gt;Nice (this is a bit trickier, as the trains run at odd times to make good connections).<BR><BR>www.sncf.com lets you plug in inbetween cities to plot a trip.