Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bernina Express to Lugano and on to Venice in (1) afternoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I want to end our travels in Switzerland (on the way to Venice) on the Bernina Express.<BR><BR>Does anyone know the travel time from the ending point of the Bernina, into Italy and on to Venice?<BR><BR>Can it be done in the afternoon, arriving Venice by evening?
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:09 AM

You can try the following Swiss railway site (english).<BR><BR>http://www.cff.ch/pv/index_e.htm<BR><BR>I put From:Tirano - To:Venice and it takes about 6 hours with a change at Milano-Centrale.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:50 AM

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. This shows your connections.<BR><BR>Chur 0848, Tirano 1246 to 1425, Aprica 1505, change, Edolo 1600 to 1632, Monday to Saturday, not August 5 to 31, (on days with no train you take the bus) Brescia 1812 to 1821, Venice Santa Lucia 2040<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:35 AM

Trenitalia lists the following departures from Tirano, with a change of train at Milano Centrale as Hike says:<BR><BR>08.50 ... arr. Venice 15.06<BR>10.00 ... arr. Venice 17.06<BR>12.45 ... arr. Venice 19.06<BR>14.57 ... arr. Venice 21.21<BR>16.57 ... arr. Venice 23.06<BR><BR>www.trenitalia.it<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Sorry - just noticed you said from Lugano, not Tirano.<BR><BR>OK - that shortens your journey time.<BR>Lugano-Venice takes 4 hours 15 mins to 5 hours, again with a change of train at Milano Centrale.<BR><BR>Afternoon departures from Lugano are roughly hourly.<BR>For times:<BR>www.trenitalia.it<BR><BR>Steve<BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:19 AM

&quot;the ending point of the Bernina&quot; Express is Tirano (or am I wrong?). Scooter, you need to know then how long is the train route for Tirano-Lugano-Venice? Any route you want, try the Swiss Railway site I mentioned above. (eg. FROM:Tirano/TO:Venice/VIAugano) but &quot;via Lugano&quot; is not compulsory to make Tirano-Venice.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Hike - I think you're right.<BR><BR>Tirano-Lugano-Venice would be a long way round as there's no Tirano-Lugano rail route. The direct route is Tirano-Milan-Venice.<BR><BR>Scooter - If you're crossing from St Moritz to Tirano by train and then want to go via Lugano, the best way would be:<BR><BR>1. Train: Tirano-Varenna<BR>2. Ferry: Varenna-Menaggio<BR>3. Bus: Menaggio-Lugano<BR><BR>There doesn't seem much point in going via Lugano if you won't have time to visit it, though.<BR><BR>Steve
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM

I want to do the same thing and I've found all the sites with timetables for regular trains. The problem is finding timetables for all those scenic trains (like the Bernini Express, the Golden Pass, etc.). I finally gave up and emailed the swiss rail information site asking where to find it. They replied that they'd send me a brochure so I guess that info is not on-line (with a few exceptions like the &quot;chocolate train&quot; which runs only 1-2 times a week). When I get that brochure, I'll let you know what the times are for the Bernini Express so that you (and I) can see if any of the many connections mentioned (or on-line) will work. I'll be going from Lucern to Venice and (like you) would like to take the Bernini Express for part of that trip. But given the time from Tirano (or Lugano) to Venice - and the cost of accommodations in Venice - I'm beginning to wonder if if makes more sense to spend the night in Tirano (or some where else along the way) and go on to Venice the next morning. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM
yk

mberry-

This is the website I used when I took Bernina Express last year, on Rhatische Bahn:
http://www.rhb.ch/berninaexpress/berninaexpress.e.php

The bus from Tirano to Lugano only runs in the summer.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Hi Folks,

There are actually many trains over the Bernina Pass. The term &quot;Bernina Express&quot; is a designation for certain of the runs with panoramic viewing cars. But you can make the same journey over the same tracks at several times of the day -- and cheaper too if you get a regular car. Use the rail websites as mentioned above for exact schedules.

s
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Thanks (yk)! (Did you get that scooter?) I wonder why the swiss rail people didn't just give me that site!? And thanks, s - but may I ask: would you recommend taking the panoramic trains or just the regular lines that run that (bernini) route? I read another board on the topic of best scenic routes (rick steve's site?) and the one I heard over and over was &quot;bernini express&quot; which has made me want to alter my plans to take that route. I've also altered my plans to take the golden pass route when I travel from Montreux to Interlaken and then later from Interlaken to Luzern. If the regular train makes the same route, it is worth it to ride the &quot;scenic&quot; trains?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM
yk

mberry-

When I went to Switzerland last year, I had a Swiss pass, so the cost of the train was not an issue for me.
I did sit in the paranomic car, here are the pros &amp; cons:

Pros: Each car has big windows that extend all the way up to where the ceiling is. So even if the scenery is not on your side of the train, you can still see it easily because of the big windows. Also, the windows make viewing the mountains easy. The regular train cars have regular train windows.

Con: The windows cannot be open. All the pictures I took have small but noticeable amount of &quot;glass reflection&quot;.

The bus ride from Tirano to Lugano was a lot of fun, would definitely do it again.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:07 PM
yk

mberry-

I didn't mention specifically in my last post: the regular train cars' windows can be open - hence will be better for photography.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Hello mberry,

Last June I went from St Moritz to Poschivo on the Bernina Express with the panoramic windows; on the return I stopped at Alp Gruem &amp; Pontresina, so used three separate trains on the route. I can't say the panoramic windows were much better than the regular trains -- the passengers were standing up and crowding around the windows anyway so I couldn't see much! I spent most of the trip standing in the vestibule where the windows were accessible. On the return trains, most of the passengers seemed to be seasoned regulars, and I could sit and enjoy the view.

You could also get off at Alp Gruem, as my companion suggested, and really soak up the view. The station has a restaurant and pricey but good, basic food, and views onto the glacier. I think we waited an hour (?? -- check the sbb or the rhb to be sure) for the next train. Lots of wind. Wear sunblock!

s
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and take the bus to Lugano since s said it was fun - and it's actually a shorter trip from there to Venice. But I've begun to think I should break the trip from Lucern to Venice into two days and aim for an early morning arrival. Any recommendations for a stopping point between/in Lugano and Venice? (I'm traveling with two kids and on a limited budget.)