Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bernina Express arrival in Tirano / Tirano to Veranna on Lake Como by train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our 20th anniversary, we are traveling from US to London to Zurich to travel on Bernina Express. Can we board Bernina Express in Zurich or have to take separate train to Chur to board BE? What time does Bernina Exp arrive in Tirano?

Our ultimate destination is Griante on west side of Lake Como. I can't find info on train from Tirano to Veranna to catch the ferry across Lake Como. I don't want to travel all the way to Milan and then catch a bus up to Griante. As you see, I have many questions! I have spent many hours on the planning of this two week trip from US to Wales to London to Zurich to Tirano (on the BE) to Griante on Lake Como. I have hit a big road block on this last segment from Tirano to Griante. Can anyone please help?
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 05:40 AM

The station is Varenna-Esino and most trains from Tirano to Milan stop there but not all. See Trenitalia.com
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 05:43 AM

I did the trip in reverse. Not all of the express trains stop in Varenna (note spelling) - you might have to change trains. I changed at Sondrio from a local train to the express. I'm pretty sure the Bernina Express terminates at Chur.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 06:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Tirano to Varenna is Trenord.

http://www.trenord.it/it/home.aspx

You have to zoom in to about 80% to see the lines better.

http://www.trenord.it/media/616783/l...dic2012_a4.pdf
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 08:50 AM

There is no way the Bernina Express, that is a narrow gauge train, may travel to Zurich over a standard gauge line.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all advice!
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to travel from Zurich to Chur where you will CHANGE trains to get the Bernina Express. Certain timings require no changes and run all the way through Chur to Tirano; those timings also have the panorama cars which have bigger windows.

I was not aware of ANY 'express' services between Tirano and Milan. TrenNord, as was mentioned above, now runs these services. You can also book tickets as needed using the www.italiarail.com site which is sometimes easier to use than the TrenNord (only in Italian) or the Trenitalia.com site.

Ferry service timetables for the so-called "mid-lake shuttle" from Varenna to nearby towns are here: http://www.navlaghi.it/ Note that the ferry schedules are SEASONAL.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>asier to use than the TrenNord (only in Italian) or the Trenitalia.com site.<<<

There's absolutely no point in buying Tirano/Varenna in advance (no discounts,more restrictions on tickets bought online, no reserved seats, train doesn't sell out), but you can select English on Trenord. No need to use a reseller such as Italiarail which adds another layer of restrictions of their own.

On Trenord, after you enter your towns/date and click purchase, it does roll back over to Italian. It's very simple to figure out though (name and e-mail is all they ask). Once you click to pay after entering your name, it rolls back over to English on the payment screen.

I would buy Tirano/Varenna at the station for the next train departing. I would not buy online.