Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What can you tell about my Paris 5th neighborhood?

Old Jul 28th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have completed my apartment rental arrangements in Paris. http://www.vrbo.com/20017

I think I chose a good centralized location, in the 5th. I would love to have some tips about what I will find in my neighborhood. The address is at 37 Rue De La Harpe, in the area of Bd Saint.-Michel, Rue Saint-Jacques and Bd Saint.-Germain. Any nearby markets, food stands, coffee, pastries, cheese, etc .... Looking on Google street view, I see restaurants and a creperie right there
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just a quick comment right now. You may get some responses along the lines of >way too touristy< and it IS a VERY touristy neighborhood. But don't let them discourage you - it is soooo close to the river, Notre Dame, the metro, the 6th, all the sites in the 5th. There are noisy restaurants all around - but it is a very convenient area and you can be across the bridge and in front of ND in about 3 minutes.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 08:51 AM

ditto to all that janis says. I went to a very nice and busy street market right in that area - great for fresh veggies, etc. Yes and can do easy walks to so so many famous monuments and sights.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Just don't eat anywhere close by.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM

I agree that being close to the Seine is always nice.

I like to talk through the Ile de la Cite.

You're also close to Blvd St. Germain, where you can find lots of ATMs. Close to the Metro alao.

I normally stay in the 6em, but this looks pleasant. You also only have a 1 floor walkup.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM

As mentioned, the location is really central so easy to get everywhere. As for eating, I disagree a bit. DD studied in Paris last summer and she found a great little place for an inexpensive lunch. Creperie Genia, which is on Rue de la Harpe. They have paninis and a soda for 3,50 euro and to add a crepe was only another euro. The sisters who run it are really nice and take great pride in what they do. The girls took me there every day and it was good. Granted, most people don't want to do that every day, but they were students so it worked for them, but it is a good option for an inexpensive lunch in that area.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM

ugh, it is completely a tourist street, it isn't a normal neighborhood at all. It is full of souvenir shops, fast/cheap food shops, etc. It is a pedestrian street but because it has cheap food and is very close to the Seine,tourists are always on it in full force. I imagine the noise would be horrendous with hordes of people on the streets at almost all hours, but maybe the place you rented doesn't have windows open to rue de la Harpe.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM

oh, that is probably about right next to the McDonalds there, at least it is close to a metro stop (Cluny). the street with the most small restaurants is down at the end of Harpe, rue de la Huchette, and it is busier, if possible. But Harpe leads from bd St Germain to Huchette, and has the McDonalds there so it is really busy, also.

here's an article about one of the small restaurants where your apt is located (your apt is above this restaurant), but the photo is really from Montmartre. The author liked that place, in any case.
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...514-1emw0.html

If you like being right in the thick of things, like on Broadways in NYC or Gran Via in Madrid, it should suit you. It is very lively and if you like easy and cheap food, you should like it, also.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM

Just a couple of blcks from where you are:

Marché Maubert
Le premier marché parisien connu est le marché Palu, qui se tient à partir du 5e siècle près du Petit Pont, sur l’île de la Cité.
Quelques siècles plus tard, il est déplacé en périphérie, sur l’emplacement actuel de la place Maubert.
Place Maubert
Mardi, jeudi, 7h à 14h30 et samedi de 7h à 15h
Métro : Maubert-Mutualité