Reload this Page >

Berlin to Krakow--How Long a trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:43 PM
goingto

Berlin to Krakow--How Long a trip is by train? I have searched this site but could not find the answer and the websites were wither down or my companies EURO server was overbooked. THe web sites just churned. Also, are there both night and day trips, sleepers and seats????? How safe is it or is there something I should look for. I have traveled in Europe on sleeper cars before. Thanks

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 02:10 PM
Ed

Looking at www.rail.ch (DB would be the normal one to use but I remember the Swiss server address better)there's a night trip that takes 17 hours and at least a couple of day trips at 8 and 9 hours. No sleepers shown on the night trip (Dresden-Wroclaw segment) which seems a little strange. <BR> <BR>Can't help with the other questions. <BR>

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Cathy

There is an overnight sleeper from Berlin to Krakow - I took it over 2 years ago and as far as I can remember it departed at 22.00hrs and arrived at 8.00am or thereabouts (having pulled into a slide line for sometime during the night. Avoid travelling at the weekends ie Thurs. to Sun. and keep all your valueables on yourself, <BR> <BR>Have a great time <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 04:42 PM
Ben Haines

The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. As Cathy says, a night train leaves Berlin Zoo station at 2055 and reaches Krakow Glowny station at 0755. It has 6 berth couchette compartments, 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers, and a buffet car. It stands for 20 minutes at Rzepin station and for 30 at Wroclaw, but with luck you'll be fast asleep and won't know. This train doesn't run via Dresden nor Wroclaw. <BR> <BR>By day the Wawel restaurant car express leaves Zoo at 0855 and reaches Krakow at 1718. <BR> <BR>Night trains n Poland may have kuggagebthieves. But in sleepwrs abnd I think couchettes your fellow-passengers an you can agree to keep the door not just locked (a thief wuth a key can unlock it) but also chained. Then the conductior locks all outer doors to the compartment, and so you're safe. It is unwise to travel by night in a day car in Poland, without berths or locks. Krakow Glowny station has pickpockets, in gangs of three, who crowd you as you leave or board a train. The way round this is to have your passport, credit cards, tickets, and other valuables in your luggage, not in a pocket. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Peter

looks like there is a nice connection around 9pm from Berlin with no changes stoping in Wroclaw and arriving in Krakow a little before 8am (sleeping car available). check here for details:http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/zuginfo.exe.../172198/201542 <BR> <BR>also search this site for other train connections: http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en