Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Berlin to Dresden day trip in December. Suggestions please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/berlin-to-dresden-day-trip-in-december-suggestions-please-457312/)

gomiki Dec 2nd, 2008 07:04 AM

Berlin to Dresden day trip in December. Suggestions please.

Could someone suggest some Dresden highlights to see on a day trip from Berlin in mid-December? I have searched but would love some tips and suggestions. Love museums, cathedrals and history. Is there a Christmas market?

Is there a better town for a day trip?

Bird Dec 2nd, 2008 07:42 AM

Dresden is rich with treasures. I would start with the Zwinger - especially the Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister. Take a tour of the Semper Opera, visit the Cathedral, and the Frauenkirche of course.

Dresden's Christmas Market is historic (but I haven't been.) Make sure you save some time for some coffee and cake.

Dresden is a special city that needs to be savoured.

JudyC Dec 2nd, 2008 07:47 AM

Not about things to do, but if you are travelling by train, you might like to book ahead from www.bahn.de, I got a very good deal retrun from Berlin to Dresden this past October.

For museums, churches, Dresden has more to offer than within a daytrip.

gomiki Dec 2nd, 2008 08:21 AM

Thank you Bird and JudyC. I know a day is not nearly enough but it's all we have!

Bird Dec 2nd, 2008 09:32 AM

gomiki,

Here is a link that provides more information on Dresden and the Christmas Market:

http://www.dresden.de/index_en.php

Ingo Dec 2nd, 2008 09:50 AM

Hey gomiki! Cannot believe you're coming to Dresden in mid-December. Ho-Ho-Ho!

Is there a Christmas Market? My Gosh, what a question! We have actually the oldest Christmas Market in Germany (574 years), right on Altmarkt square and wonderful. Too bad you only have a day trip from Berlin ...

Definitely see the Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady), the Catholic cathedral (Hofkirche) and the historic Christmas Market in the Stallhof (the courtyard behind the Procession of Princes mural). Like Bird suggested, tour the Semper opera (usually early afternoon) and visit one museum. Depending on your interest pick either Picture Gallery Old Masters in the Zwinger or the New Green Vault (jewellery and more) in the Royal Palace.

Again, as Bird said, have coffee and cake. Cafe Coselpalais right behind the Frauenkirche is most fancy and has yummy cakes/tarts. Another option: Cafe Kreutzkamm right on Altmarkt square under the arcades.

The City museum has a very interesting exhibit on the Dresden history (also the bombing) and a nice small Christmas exhibit. For more Christmas items and spirit visit the Saxon Folk Art museum in across the river in the Neustadt. Only ten minutes walk from the old town. Oh, and there's another Christmas Market (cheaper) in the Neustadt, in the pedestrian zone right ahead after crossing the river.

gomiki Dec 2nd, 2008 11:40 AM

Bird, Thank you for the link!

Ingo, I was hoping you would see this! Thank you for the information. It looks like I will have a lot of to do and not much time! I would love to meet for coffee and cake if you are available.

Ingo Dec 2nd, 2008 09:05 PM

Glad to hear that, Gomiki! Depends on the day, but I'll try hard to make it possible :-) I guess your and my email addresses are in one of Bob's old mass-emails, eh?

I.

gomiki Dec 3rd, 2008 09:52 AM

Ingo, if it works for you it would be great to see you. You could send me your email at the mikster 70 @ hotmail. I looked through old ones from Bob with no luck so far.

Bird Dec 3rd, 2008 12:54 PM

gomiki - I would be happy to buy you and Ingo a pastry. Just put it on my tab.

wanderfrau Dec 3rd, 2008 03:19 PM

Just go wherever Ingo says to go -- it worked for me!

Cafe Coselpalais is perfect for cake and coffee. I recommend the Haus Torte (actually that's what Ingo recommends and I agree).

I haven't been to the Christmas market, but I'm sure it is wonderful. Take some time to look at the local wooden handicrafts.

My favorite museum was the New Green Vault. I have never seen a museum like it anywhere in the world.

Whatever you choose to do, you'll enjoy it.

Ingo Dec 4th, 2008 09:17 AM

Did you get my email, gomiki? I overlooked the first part of it and it was returned, so I tried again ... hope the second attempt was successful.

gomiki Dec 4th, 2008 10:52 AM

ingo, I just looked at my hotmail. Yes, I did. Will reply.

Bird, :)

wonderfrau, thanks for the suggestions!