Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin, Potsdamer Platz; Panoramapunkt a Must See!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I just came over from the U.S. two weeks ago to the city of Berlin for a little vacation time. I have seen many of the sites since entering this historical and diverse city and fell in love with it right away. One place in particular that really got to me was Panoramapunkt at Potsdamer Platz, the sight was truly amazing. It gives you a 360° birds eye view of the whole city of Berlin where you can see many of the city's famous landmarks. It reminds me of its own version of the Empire State Building observation deck in New York City. Trust me you have not really seen Berlin unless you make your way to the top of Kollhoff Tower and gaze upon this view. There is a great little Café up there too where you can relax and enjoy the scenery over a cup of coffee and a bite to eat. Another interesting thing to see up there is the "Flying Wall." It's not really a flying wall that would just be ridiculous, but it was nicknamed that after the locals flew a chunk of the Berlin Wall to the top of the building by helicopter. It's now the highest part of the wall in the world and worth taking a look at, just to say you've seen it. Another thing about this building is that its not only about the view but within the building there is also a historical exhibit covering Potsdamer Platz and the trransformations it went through. So basically you get a all in one highlight show; the great view, the wall, some history and even a little bite to eat if you feel so inclined. As you can tell I really enjoyed visiting this site and it probably won't be the last time I go there. I definately recommend it to anyone who is visiting Berlin.

If you have anymore questions feel free to post them and I'll respond as soon as possible?
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Nice of you to post Jason; I see you're new to the site. Since you've been in Berlin for two weeks, would you have more to report on by chance?

Thx.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Potsdamer Platz itself is really a cool area. Theres the Sony building just next door to Kollhoff Tower where what I can only describe as a giant tent has a light show during the night. It creates a really great atmosphere being outside but still covered and a light show to look up at. There are some decent restaurants there as well so you can admire the place while dining. Just down the street from this area is the famous Brandenburg Gate. In general the whole area is set up to give you a modern and historic feel at the same time. Hope this helps you out.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Hi Jason

Thanks for your report! We are just in the planning stages for a visit to Berlin next September, so would really appreciate your 'on the ground' information about the city highlights.

Also anything about the surrounding area would also be of interest for us. Di
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

I would say Kufürstendamm, Unter den Linden in addition to what I have already mentioned are both good choices. They are really popular streets and have a lot to offer. Charlottenburg Palace is nice and as far as in the surrounding area, you can always head to Potsdam its bout an hour away and do a tour there. I have yet to go there but I hear its really nice and has a lot of historic sites.