Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Berlin or Munich? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/berlin-or-munich-72854/)

Joe May 20th, 2000 08:38 PM

Berlin or Munich?

<BR>Myself and two other backpackers plan on spending 6 days in Germany, 3 in Berlin and 3 in Munich. <BR> <BR>I was wondering what the general thoughts on Berlin were? I have read alot of posts here about how much of a must-see Munich is and to spend as much time there as possible. Would it be better to limit Berlin to two days and extend Munich to four? <BR> <BR>Also, we fly into Brussels, we didn't plan on Belgium but flying into Brussels was the cheapest flight (almost 200 bucks cheaper than others). We arrive at 6:45 in the morning, and we're wondering if its worth spending the day in Brussels then heading to Berlin on the overnight train, or leaving Brussels immediately and perhaps stopping en route to Berlin to take the much touted Rhine cruise? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance.

gail May 21st, 2000 10:25 AM

26 years ago as a college graduate I went on my 1st and only trip to Europe. I have my fondest memories of Belgium and Germany, my first 2 countries. Brussels, Brugges, Cologne and Munich were wonderful with Munich as one of my favorite cities of the 9 countries I visited. Have fun!

caoimhe May 21st, 2000 10:30 AM

Brussels is a nice city and the centre, around La Grand Place is beautiful! However, Brussels does get a lot of bad press - there isn't a lot to do there. Instead, if you have time, or could make time, I would recommend Bruges -its jsut under 2 hours from Brussels and is absolutely fabulous! One of the oldest medieval cities in Europe and virtually untouched since the medieval ages. <BR>Having never been to Berlin, I can't advise there but Munich is wonderful with a lot to do to keep you occupied for several days.

Debbie May 22nd, 2000 06:19 AM

Joe-my daughter and I just got back from Brugges yesterday. We flew Sabena into Brussels and arrived at 745am.My personal opinion is that it would probably be better to keep moving to Berlin and your Rhine River cruise as you will have the usual jet lag by the time you land. Brugge is fabulous and the above posters were right about it only taking 20 minutes into Brussels and then changing trains for the line out to Brugges.Thats about another hour. However,by the time you add the <BR>jet lag nausea,lots of walking for the Brugge area and the commuting between trains-you really aren't going to do yourself or the town any justice! I would possibly try to add Brugge on the way home. Brussels would be down on my list. I have been both to Berlin and Munich and think that both cities have alot to see and do.Are you into history or more social/nightlife.etc? Whatever you decide-you cannot go wrong. Beautiful areas with great food and people. Debbie

toom May 22nd, 2000 07:54 AM

Joe, <BR>I have been to both Berlin and Munchen, and think you should do another way round. 4 days in Berlin and 2 days in Munchen! If you are going to stopover in bruxelles why you don't stop on the return trip back from germany? <BR>Have a great time.

Andrew May 22nd, 2000 09:32 AM

I have never been to Munich so can't comment about there. Berlin, though, is a great place. It's a massive city with loads to see and do both day and night. It has great history but is also in the middle of a building boom. It is also quite a young, quirky city where anything goes.

Nancy May 22nd, 2000 10:06 AM

My opinonated suggestion is to spend more time in Berlin and less in Munich. I just returned from nine days in Berlin and still did not see everything on my list. I just loved it there and would go back in a heartbeat for another nine days. Have a great trip!

Scott May 22nd, 2000 01:45 PM

I can't tell you anything about Berlin having never been there but we just got back from Munich in April and it was wonderful.Lots to see and do and the beer and food is fabulous.The people are also very friendly and most speak english. <BR> Enjoy.

Maira May 22nd, 2000 02:18 PM

From the two, I've only been to Munich and my husband have been to both, Berlin and Munich. Munich, hands down, is his vote. I can only say that Munich was an absolute blast in every sense; fun city, fascinating history, great people, outstanding food, and so much to see.

Art May 22nd, 2000 04:29 PM

I have been to 3 cities in the world so far that seem to have a life to them; Berlin, Rome and New York. 3 days in each of them will give you a flavor and a desire to go back to each. They are both great cities and you could spend a week or more in each one. <BR>Great travels!!

Linda May 22nd, 2000 07:10 PM

Munich is a fun city with nice day trips but Berlin is incredible. So much to see and do--the history, culture, nightlife. Definitely spend 4 days in Berlin & you still won't see everything. Munich is nice & 2 days are not enough but it's no Berlin.