Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin Marriott....subway or taxi to hotel from airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we bite the bullet and booked the Marriott for 5 nights. Our trip begins Saturday night which is when we arrive. Since we're flying from Los Angeles, our arrival brings us into TXL around 10 pm. It will be me, DH and his 70 year old mom. They both speak German fluently, but I'm the travel agent of the family so I'd like suggestions on the easiest method of transport from TXL to Marriott at 10 pm. Should we just take a taxi, and if so, any ideas on how much it will be? I'm not opposed to taking the subway if only to get familiar with how it works. Being So Cal folks, we're not big on public transport, but I know that it's a fantastic method of getting around in Berlin.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:01 PM
DAX

We normally take the taxi for less than 15 euro. You need simplicity when you just arrive especially that late. Glad you booked Marriott in Potsdamerplatz. FYI there is a lesser Marriott Courtyard in Berlin.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
DAX

Just want you to know that you don't have to take the first taxi upfront. You are free to choose the larger car or van in the back of the line.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 03:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I am also remembering about 20 Euros to Potsdammerplatz which I believe is where the Marriott is.

Really not very expensive, and definitely worth the convenience.

Save the underground for when you are rested and it's daylight.

Public transportation in Berlin is quite user friendly.

Enjoy!

gruezi
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

okay...so i'm glad that taking a taxi is the general concensus. Thanks for the heads up on taxi fare...I'm glad I asked since we don't have any Euro so I'll make sure to exchange some money upon arrival. Do taxi take credit cards? My preferred card is a Discover. Is it widely accepted in Berlin?

Dax....we're staying at the Berlin Marriott...the one located at Potsdamerplatz. I got lucky on Priceline for $80/night. It works out to around $96 after taxes and fees. Not bad considering on their website, a standard goes for 186E

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 04:42 AM
DAX

I've never used credit cards for taxi fares. I normally use the ATM machine at the airport to get the maximum amount of euro I can get from my banking card (300-350 euro).

You got an incrediblly low rate at the Marriott! It'll cost the same if you pay for the hotel buffet additionally, unless you decide to eat breakfast outside like at one of those Kamps chain bakery stores in the Mitte. There is also a two storied Dunkin Donuts with internet computers just a block away. Part of the enjoyment of staying at the Marriott is the breakfast elaborate buffet and cook to order staff. The dinners are fun too since they are made by a team of friendly budding chefs whom we got to know even though the team seems to change every year. Hace a great time in Berlin!
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Dax,

I read on tripadvisor that upon checkin, there's a possibility of upgrading to the executive clubroom for 50-80E per night. So if that's an option, we'll probably do that.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM

Discover?? What is this?

This will be the reaction. I don´t think they are accepted - or even known - anywhere outside your country.
VISA and MasterCard are the common network, with AmericanExpress catching up.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
DAX

altamiro is right, leave your discovery card at home. Your Visa card may likely not be usable in the retail stores unless your card has the new chip that is common in european credit cards. I usually just use the cash I get from the ATM for my store purchases because there have been too many times that my cards are not accepted. I have ALWAYS been able to use my Visa/Mastercard at the hotels and restaurants.

The executive upgrade will give you clubroom access for continental breakfast (not the buffet) and appetizers in the early evening. The executive rooms are on the ninth floor and have the same exact size with slightly upgraded furniture. In this hotel, the standard room furnishing is really in fine condition since it is well maintained and relatively new. I'd say the 80 euro is better used for some great dinners in Berlin.

By the way there are many good places to eat near the hotel, one is Lutter Wegner restaurant right in the Sony center facing the Ritz. Diekmann at the Haus am Huth is a better restaurant as well. The Mommseneck nextdoor to Diekmann serves a good reliable german cooking, much better than most of the tourist traps inside the Sony center (except for Lutter Wegner). Vapiano is an interesting inexpensive italian chain restaurant with a new concept.

One gourmet food experience that I would strongly recommend is at the Weinbar Rutz in Prenzlauerberg (55 euro multiple course dinner). It is the only winebar that receives a Michelin star. You'll know why when you eat there (reserve in advance). It's high cuisine for everyone.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
DAX

I found a handy interactive map of Berlin restaurants and hotels:
http://tinyurl.com/6yfdh9
The Mariott Hotel is in the lower left quadrant.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM

Haras: why even bother with a late night ATM machine upon arrival, after a long transcontinental flight. Just get some euros (euro, I understand is the proper plural)from your bank before leaving home. (We always take a lot of euro in cash from the U.S.,,,and use ATM for later in the trip, plus charge hotels). Perhaps you might just want to buy a "few",,,for taxi , first meals etc.
Many people will disagree with me, but we factor in the convenience, and we've never paid excessive fees from our bank. So much easier! ,but it's a personal choice.
And I too would suggest taking a taxi late at night to the hotel....expecially since there are 3 of you.

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM

<i>Your Visa card may likely not be usable in the retail stores unless your card has the new chip that is common in european credit cards.</i>

I rarely have problems using my Visa or my AMEX at retailers (including on a trip to Berlin), despite it not being a chip and pin. Just state that it doesn't have a pin when you hand it to them. Only been a problem at a couple of grocery stores, and I suspect we just got an inexperienced cashier.
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
DAX

travelgourmet:
Things may continue to change, I remember when I could use my cards anywhere, then only my Mastercard because it's carried by the Eurocard mercahnt, and then eventually all my cards were not accepted so I've given up trying to use my credit cards. Too many times I have to return my items because I didn't carry enough cash so I stopped relying on my cards beyond the big dept stores &amp; wine dealers. I still get my cards rejected when I was in Belin this past August. I do shop at electronic stores (Saturn, Media Markt), bookstores, and supermarkets where my cards are not accepted.

Another thing to consider is the substantial currency exchange charge that the credit cards add on top of small purchases.