Italy,20 days of perfect planning with Fodors Friends

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In March of this year, I discovered your travel talk forum. I posted a few questions and read ~and read ~and read all past postings on all the topics we were interested in. The following is a simple report of our hotels and some of the information we found helpful. While traveling, I would frequently say "my Fodor Friends suggest...... . I thank you all for the tips, helpful suggestions, and the time you have taken to post the information, we found so very helpful. We are so ready to return to Italy as soon as the budget allows it.

1. Travel Insurance: Best value, check internet source www.insuremytrip.com
2. Travel organization: I prepared a separate (clear sheet) packet for each city and for needed ravel information. You only need to handle one folder at a time and the rest are at the bottom of the suitcase. I brought an extra large duffel bag and bubble wrap and was thrilled I had it, as you will want to bring many treasured items home. We were gone for 20 days with a 22? carry- on and a backpack. We did not check going to Italy, but on the return we carried our treasured in the carry on and checked all of our clothes and extras. We did do washing of clothes every night.
3. Auto rental: If you rent a car, make sure you also have a cell phone. My sister had a break down and without her cell phone; it would have been a disaster. We used Auto Europe & the manual was a breeze to drive. We only drove in the Tuscany rural area and continued to get lost which is part of the adventure. On the other hand, I would suggest you pick up, & drop off the car in an area that is more rural, and hop a train to Rome or Florence. Finding the car station in the city (getting in and out) can take too much time and effort.
4. Rome: Hotel Miami. This is a 3 star with a good value and great location. Happy hour (4-7) with outside tables at Hotel Exedra was great. 15 Euros for a drink and all the appetizers you can eat.
5. Amalfi Coast: Driver (who was recommended by this site) picked us up at Naples train station drove us to Ravello for lunch and on to Praiano: Hotel Tramonto D?Oro. A family owned hotel with spectacular views of everything and less congested than Positano or Sorrento. Renato Cuomo www.cuomonet.it or cell 0039 3391612081. I cannot say enough about this man and his services. He also drove us to Sorrento and was so very helpful in all his suggestions.
6. Tuscany: Hotel Vecchia Oliviera in the heart of Montalcino. A small hotel with 11 rooms but a good choice for touring other areas of Tuscany. Do not miss Montepulciono another walled city that while very hilly and steep to explore was fascinating.
7. Florence: Hotel Casci. A family run hotel in a great location. They even offer free internet service in the lobby.
8. Venice: Locanda Ca?Le Vele. A newer hotel in a quiet part of Venice. Some of the service was rough (annoyed that I needed a hair blow dryer) but a good location and clean, large room overlooking a small canal.
9. Lake Como: Hotel Metropole Suisse. This hotel is in the heart of Lake Como, overlooking the lake and a plaza. We took the ferry to the other areas to explore.
As was said before, it is hard to have a bad meal in Italy. I copied many of the suggestions for restaurants from this post, and all of the hotels will offer others.
Hope the above information helps others.
Thanks again. Sheila

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Sounds as though you had a lovely time--you certainly covered a lot of territory on this trip.

I agree--all the recommendations and suggestions from experienced travelers make all the difference in having an enjoyable vacation.

Welcome back.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:19 AM

You must had a great time.
How was the weather? I am planning to go in Aug (no bookings have been made yet). I wonder if you can post contact info and costs for the hotels you stayed in and some suggestions of restaurants. Thanks

MN
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:49 AM

"If you rent a car, make sure you also have a cell phone"

Great advice. We broke down on the autostrada an a rainy day this year. I will continue renting cars in Italy, but never again without a cell.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:33 PM
ira

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for sharing.

Glad we helped make your trip go well.

So where did you eat and what did you have?
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the report, Shiela. Sounds like you had a nice, well-prepared for trip.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Excellent advice, Sheila_t; glad you guys had fun!!