Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Berlin: Itinerary & Acco help pls (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/berlin-itinerary-and-acco-help-pls-1019228/)

rtwin80days Jul 7th, 2014 02:40 AM

Berlin: Itinerary & Acco help pls

Hi,

Here are some of the things I’d like to see/do while in Berlin:

Brandenburg gate
Checkpoint Charlie
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
Museumsinsel – keen on Pergamonmuseum
Berlin Cathedral
Reichstag (have booked online appt)
Evening buzz in Mitte

Besides the aforesaid:

Hang out at Potsdamer Platz
East Side Gallery in Friedrichshain / Berlin wall
Views of the city from top of Park Inn Hotel (Worth it after going in the dome of Reichstag?)
Alexanderplatz
Rowing in Neur See – if the weather is not too hot
Gas lanterns open air museum at dusk for the illuminations
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

Are the abovementioned attractions do-able in 3 days without rushing too much? Day-light is on for 16 hours in Berlin now & plus I don’t sleep very early.

Ideally, I’d want to stay near Brandenburg gate area. Would that be ideal to see the attractions mentioned? It must be a prime (read expensive!) area, I am sure!

Your thoughts are welcome!

adrienne Jul 7th, 2014 03:42 AM

I'm working on my Berlin itinerary for my upcoming trip so your list is interesting.

What is "Gas lanterns open air museum at dusk for the illuminations?" I haven't read anything about this. Can you be more specific about the museum as this sounds like something I might want to do.

What is "Evening buzz in Mitte?"

Thanks!

Dukey1 Jul 7th, 2014 04:04 AM

IMO the B-burg Gate and the Memorial to the Jews can easily be done in a couple of hours.

The Pergamon...how long you planning to stare at that altar..you can do that in a couple of hours, too.

Potsdamer Platz..hanging out exactly where? You might consider doing that at night

C-point C Museum...maybe an intense hour depending on how interested you are in that crazy VW that was used to spirit people across the border.

What i would do is this: GO and start out on one day and see how it goes for you...asome of these things are almost walk-bys; the Berliner Dom is interesting for the interior decoration but it is hard to say since i have no idea how long you enjoy lingering in such places.

Potsdamer Platz is the area I usually stay in but a lot of it is commercial. I would definitely look into getting a transport pass as the S/U-Bahn network is extensive.

sssteve Jul 7th, 2014 04:50 AM

I agree with Dukey, although you can spend several hours at the Pergamon, if you are so inclined. For many people, 2 hours aren't enough. Also, there are several other museums on Museum Island which might interest you.

Please check out my web page on our trip to Berlin. Although we spent 6 days there. I'm sure it can help you in your planning.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/berlin/berlin.htm

adrienne Jul 7th, 2014 05:42 AM

That's a wonderful blog.

wanttogo Jul 7th, 2014 06:03 AM

I hope your trip is before September 30th because the Pergomon closes for renovations
After that date. At least part of it closes.

rtwin80days Jul 8th, 2014 08:42 AM

@adrienne, check this link http://www.visitberlin.de/en/spot/tiergarten. By evening buzz, I just meant to check out the vibe of the place in the evening.

@Dukey1, I might not stay for too long in Pergomon after I have seen the 2 major highlights in detail, and the other few interesting things, maybe 2 hours. All 'platz check-out' reserved for evenings / dinners. What area would be convenient walking distance / well-conencted by public transportation stops if most of my time with be around the ones I mentioned? Mitte or Potsdam Platz?

@sssteve, whoa! what a blog and what details. I feel like I am roaming around in Berlin with you :P You spent 6 days there, I might get max 4 this time. Hmmm. I hope I am not rushed.

@wanttogo, I am going there within July.

adrienne Jul 8th, 2014 09:58 AM

Thanks for the lantern information. It looks like a fun thing to watch in the evening.

rtwin80days Jul 9th, 2014 12:51 AM

@adrienne, glad :). Btw, care to share your itinerary / research on best area to stay / acco shortlist?

rtwin80days Jul 26th, 2014 02:07 AM

Hi all,

I stayed at the Hotel Berlin. It's a large hotel. Quite close to all attractions. 100 number bus goes from a bus stop situated 100 meters from the hotel to all attractions within 20 mins. Quite comfortable.

adrienne Jul 26th, 2014 02:45 AM

Sorry - I just saw your previous post. I'm booked at the Hotel-Pension Bregenz which was recommended by a couple of people on this board. It's a bit farther west than the hotel you stayed at.

CLBtravel Jul 26th, 2014 03:01 PM

I spent 3 days in Berlin recently and my trip report is online. I enjoyed Berlin Dom and especially the view from the top. Gates of Ishtar actually most spectacular thing in Pergamon Museum, I think. You'll be right next door to the Neues Museum with Neferti and the Gold Hat -- they are both worth seeing. Berlin is fascinating city.
Steve, that is a great blog post about Berlin. Wish I had seen it before my trip.