Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Berlin Hotel Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/berlin-hotel-recommendations-99167/)

Ellie Jan 8th, 2001 09:36 AM

Berlin Hotel Recommendations

My husband, our college aged son and I are planning on spending a week in Berlin this March. Any recommendations for small, charming hotels in the city will be greatly appreciated. Price range is fairly flexible. We are hoping to find a place that is well-located and reasonably quiet. Thank you.

Patrick Jan 8th, 2001 12:23 PM

Berlin is a pretty modern city and the typical German "charming" small hotels may be hard to come by as in many other parts of Germany -- and those are the places we like to stay. However, we stayed this summer for a week at Hecker's Hotel, a small very modern and chic hotel with great small bistro style restaurant attached, but next door. The staff was young, friendly and very helpful. We loved this hotel and will definitely stay there next trip. We booked directly by internet at [email protected]. It is located half a block off the K'dam, which makes it quiet and yet only a half block walk to major transport and the heart of shopping and the "modern city". We paid 280 marks for a room with an "oversized" bath which was wonderful--double vanity sinks, tub, and separate glass enclosed shower. I'm not sure what they have for three people however. By the way, the included breakfast buffet was outstanding -- even though a lot of it was probably leftovers from their great restaurant the night before.

ellie Jan 8th, 2001 01:47 PM

Thanks Patrick - that's very useful information. I've taken a look at Hecker's website and it looks like it ought to fit the bill for us. I should have made is clearer that we'll stay in two rooms, a single and a double, and they've got both available at a reasonable price. Thanks for taking the time to include so much useful detail in your response.

Patrick Jan 8th, 2001 06:44 PM

You're welcome, Ellie. Also be sure to eat one night at the 12 Apostles, just a couple of blocks away. People we met in Greece who were from Berlin told us to eat there, but we had no idea where it was. The people at Hecker's again recommended it and we were pleasantly surprised to find it so near, so reasonable, so delicious, and so much fun! Have fun in Berlin. We put it off for far too long and now can't wait to get back. Our week was not long enough there.

ellie Jan 9th, 2001 03:19 AM

We'll definately check out the 12 Apostles. Thanks again!

Maggi Jan 9th, 2001 04:14 AM

Dear Ellie, <BR>We were in Berlin unexpectedly in August and had to look for something last minute on the internet. We were so lucky to find what was perfect for us: http://www.artotel.de/berlin.html <BR>It is a very hip, modern small hotel on a canal. The back, facing the canal is still the rococo facade of the mansion it used to be. The front, facing the side street has been renovated to reflect the modern interior. It is steps from the subway and we were able to visit all of Berlin by subway or on foot. The buffet breakfasts (included) are not to be believed: a fresh yogurt/fruit/granola bar, rows of cheeses, breads, croissants and lunch meats. Coffee served in silver pots and white linen on the tables. A far cry from our donuts and white sugar packets, which is typical from the same price range ($125) here in the states. If you want any other information on Berlin feel free to e-mail me. <BR>

Ann Jan 9th, 2001 05:17 PM

Ellie, we also very much enjoyed staying at the Sorat Hotel Humboldt-Muhle, which is a very elegant converted grain silo! It sits on the shore of Lake Tegel, is very quiet, within a couple blocks of the subway (which is definitely how you'll want to travel around town), and has both a power launch and a Harley that you can rent for outings. Across the street is a private estate with stables, but I don't want to give you the impression that it's countrified... it's in a very upscale city neighborhood, just somewhat off the beaten track, which was a big plus for us. You can check out their site at www.sorat-hotels.com. It's a fairly eclectic assortment of boutique hotels... the Humboldt-Muhle rooms we stayed in were two-story, one with a widows walk. Interesting.

ellie Jan 10th, 2001 05:18 AM

Thanks to all for these helpful suggestions! We'll be sure to check out all of these options and I'll post a report when we get back. I'd also be interested in hearing about any "not to be missed" sights or attractions - particulary off the beaten track sort of finds you may have discovered in Berlin.

Lori Jan 30th, 2001 06:29 PM

We were in Berlin in November and stayed at Hotel Brandenburger Hof. Only a couple blocks from the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Memorial-Kirche. Very modern, art deco-y rooms, efficient, great with arranging theater tickets, etc. FABULOUS restaurant, Die Quadriga. Large "wintergarten" for enjoying breakfast FEASTS that are out of this world. Highly recommended. Its a Relais & Chateaux.