Venice transportation

Old May 12th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice transportation

I'm still a bit stumped with the transportation system in Venice as it's our first time there: I know that evey visitor arrives at Santa Lucia station, but can they simply get off at a specific dock or port that's closest to their destination after they board a vaporetto? Our hotel is located near-ish St. Mark's Basilica btw, and I was hoping if anyone knows the quickest path to that area once we disembark at (???) boat stop that lines the canal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old May 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM

I know that evey visitor arrives at Santa Lucia station>

Relatively few arrive here - the hoards mainly arrive at nearby Pza Roma where public buses, tour buses and parking garages ejaculate their arriving loads onto vapaorettos or water taxis.

a simple Google of Venice Vaporettos Public Transport will yield system maps and lines - IME buying a day pass can be as cheap or cheaper than two solo tickets if planning to ride the rest of the day - or longer boat passes.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:13 PM

Your hotel can offer the most exact directions to reach it. "Near-ish St. Mark's Basilica" can be reached by a number of vaporetto options that might not apply to your exact location. Which hotel?
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:14 PM

Here is a website you should study: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/prices

It will show you the maps of the vaporetto system as well as ticket prices and passes.

There are different passes available: 60 minutes, 24 hr, 48 hr, 72 hr, and 7 day. Depending on the amount of time you are in Venice a pass might be your best choice as each 60 minute ticket cost 7 euros.

We loved having the pass as we could walk when we wanted to or hop on a vaporetto anytime, even for just one stop, without having to buy a new ticket. You will wave your pass in front of the machine as you board your vaporetto. The passes are good for specific hours...not days. So say, from noon Sunday to noon Monday.

Regarding getting to your hotel stop: The number one and number two vaporetto leave from Santa Lucia and head down the canal to St Mark's. Difference is the number one line makes about 14 stops where as the number two makes only 6 or so.

Study the map. It is really quite easy. The vaporettos and stops are clearly marked so no chance to board the wrong one.
Old May 12th, 2015, 12:38 PM

Do they still charge for baggage on public boats in Venice?
Old May 12th, 2015, 01:08 PM

(I have never been charged for baggage on a public boat. Is that for baggage over a certain limit?)

So if we assume you're arriving by train, you would probably want to work backwards and either contact your hotel to find out what's the closest vaporetto stop and/or familiarize yourself with the vaporetto lines to figure out where to get off.

Getting the pass is generally a good idea, but try to plan out your time in Venice to make sure you get the best value. You don't want a three-day pass, for example, if you're only going to ride the vap once or twice.
Old May 12th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are very confused.

Santa Lucia Station is the TRAIN Station in Venice.

Marco Polo (or Treviso) is the airport.

Vaporetti do not run from the airport.

The Alilaguna runs from the docks at Marco Polo into Venice.

The Vaporetto stop in front of Santa Lucia Station is FERROVIA. You can take a vaporetto (Line 1 or 2) from this stop to Piazza San Marco.

Thin
Old May 12th, 2015, 01:45 PM

Pepper - I think you are confused not OP - she/he said nothing about any airport and meant the train station. Note she said Santa Lucia station - not airport.
Old May 12th, 2015, 03:16 PM

<I was hoping if anyone knows the quickest path to that area once we disembark at (???) boat stop that lines the canal.>

When you disembark at the St Mark's stop you are literally right across from the square. Just a few steps. You need precise directions to your hotel from the stop.
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, yes, our plan was to arrive first at Santa Lucia train Station, and then find a way to our hotel (Hotel Ai Do Mori, btw @ellenem) . I didn't know that Google Maps provided vaporetti stops, if that's what they're called, but when arrive at the one closest to our place (S. Marco Giardinetti DX?), do we just wait for the boat operator to stop and let us off?
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The vaporetti automatically stop at each stop around the canal system that is on their route and you get off. Make sure that you get the correct vaporetto for the hotel you are staying at (numbers are on the side of the boat), the hotel will confirm details for you, or maybe it's on their website.
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your hotel's website says:

Train Station “Santa Lucia” and Bus Terminal “Piazzale Roma”:
“Vaporetto” line 1 (or line “N”=Nightline) and get off at San Marco stop.
Iin Summertime from March to October also faster line n°2 to San Marco stop.
Then follow our maps.
Timetables : www.actv.it
Italy Train Timetables: www.trenitalia.it
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rubicund, I should've asked my hotel in the first place just to be on the safe side...
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking at MY vaporetto map and Line 1 doesn't stop at S. Marco Giardinetti.

Line 1 stops at S Marco Vallaresso and S Zaccaria Danieli.

You are a very brave soul to stay so close to the Tourist Tsunami of San Marco.

I would lose my mind.

Your hotel, madam, is close to Venini and a cute little bookstore that leads to a passage BEHIND the Bridge of Sighs.

If you walk north of your hotel you will eventually come to Campo S Maria Formosa. The Palazzo Querini Stampalia is located here. Go inside!

Big girls don't cry,
Thin
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:27 AM

We are in Venice right now..
Vaporetto is , more or less, like a very crowded bus.
The stops are clearly marked, disembarking passengers are let off first.

Most locals are kind and helpful answering questions from confused tourists.
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:40 AM

dan: >>Vaporetto is , more or less, like a very crowded bus.<<

Very accurate. I always laugh when I see someone here romanticize the vaporetto, which I have referred to as a bus on water. Maybe -- just maybe -- it's kind of nice to take it down the Grand Canal late at night. But most other times, the vap is strictly utilitarian.
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:43 AM

Be assured. The vaporetto stops at each stop on their line without anyone telling them they want to get off. Passengers exit. More passengers board. Vaporetto goes on its way to next stop. Very routine. Just like a bus in the city...but on water.
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:55 AM

True. It's not like a train stop where they make an announcement. Your best bet is to be aware of the stop BEFORE yours. Then you'lll be ready for the next one. If in doubt, ask someone. People are pretty friendly and accommodating.

Note to all: I'd ridden the vap often over the years and never once saw anyone asked for their ticket. I started to wonder if they really did ever ask. Then last year, I saw ticket requests several times. I don't know if it was a coincidence or if they're really cracking down on freeloaders.
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:13 AM

Last time we arrived in Venice we took the Vaporetto from Piazza Roma to San Marco.
Then I realized I could go faster (much faster) on foot and didn't take vaporetti anymore.
Old May 14th, 2015, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First time walking through the "streets" can be a little confusing, they are really a nest of alleyways filled with people who know where they are going.

So, print off your hotel's path details before you go and follow them. Don't assume you will just find it.

Have a great time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -