Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Berlin - Dresden - Leizig - Berlin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/berlin-dresden-leizig-berlin-386845/)

ba739 Jun 30th, 2008 03:10 PM

Berlin - Dresden - Leizig - Berlin

I was search the DB Bahn for fare from Berlin on July 24 to Dresden and return on July 25. The fare I got was 98 Eur for 2 people. Is this correct ?
What are my other options ?

My plan is spend a night at Dresden and then continue to Leizig for a day before returning to Berlin.

Any help is appreciated.

Musicteacher Jun 30th, 2008 03:24 PM

The regular price is 35 Euro per person each way. You were looking at the Sparpreis--reduced fare ticket, and those sell out very quickly.

ba739 Jun 30th, 2008 03:30 PM

I checked renting a car from Budget for 2 days & 10 hours and it cost me 99 Eur.

How is the drive from Berlin to Dresden ? Will parking be expensive in Dresden ?

I am more leaning towards renting a car? suggestions pro & con ?

noe847 Jun 30th, 2008 03:44 PM

Personally, I'd take the train. Those cities are well served by rail, and you are not likely to need a car in the city, but I don't know your plans. We found driving to be fine, but a little stressful because of the widely varying speeds of the cars (a bit harder to gauge lane changes, etc.) But gas is quite expensive.

Ingo Jul 1st, 2008 08:00 AM

Car will be more expensive. Gas is VERY expensive! I'd take the train.

You can check bus, too. www.berlinlinienbus.de Maybe a little cheaper.

ba739 Jul 3rd, 2008 06:50 PM

That's a good idea and is a lot cheaper. I got a round trip for 2 for 58.00 Eur.

Ingo,
Is it possible or how to check a bus ticket from Berlin > Dresden (stay one day) > Leizig (half day) > Beerlin.

Thank you for the good suggestions.

Cowboy1968 Jul 3rd, 2008 09:48 PM

You can get a (non refundable, restricted on chosen service) return ticket to Dresden for the bus for €18 round-trip pP.

Check the "Aktions Preis" when you get to choose the tariff in the booking section of the website.

Unless Leipzig is a total must, you can easily spend more time near Dresden (e.g. Meissen, Elbe valley, many castles and manors - which can be reached with inexpensive suburban trains from Dresden) and save Leipzig for another trip.

csvas Jul 4th, 2008 12:42 AM

Hi Guys! im new here, im just wondering if can you help me with something, you see... im trying to know if how many times will i spend if im going to travel from Berlin to Italy? and how much will it cost. i hope you can answer my concern... thanks much!

csvas Jul 4th, 2008 12:52 AM

about my question, i almost forgot, the destination in italy was either florence and/or venice, thanks a lot!

Musicteacher Jul 4th, 2008 04:30 AM

From Berlin to Florence or Venice you could look for a cheap flight on http://www.whichbudget.com/
or a train on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

ba739 Jul 4th, 2008 01:41 PM

Cowboy1968..Leizig is on my list of things I want to do. I am intersted in the East German especially on Stasi Museum.

I can buy a one bus ticket and leave early on July 24 from Berlin to Dresden. I already have Hitlon reserved for a night. On July 25 afternoon another one way bus ticket from Dresden to Leizig, spend a night (no hotel reservation yet) and return to Berlin on July 26 evening. Back to Los Angeles on July 27.

Should I just book my one way bus ticket now and get the rest when I arrive Dresden ?

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.

ba739 Jul 10th, 2008 12:18 PM

I have made my one way bus reservation from Berlin to Dresden for 9 Eur, good price. Is there a bus service from Dresden to Leipzig ? Also BERLIN LINIEN BUS does not have any bus service from Leipzig to Berlin. I can take the train, howver it would be 40 eur, there must have some other ways.

Need suggestion or help.

Cowboy1968 Jul 10th, 2008 12:31 PM

ba.. inter-city bus connections are more the exemption than the rule. Trains are more common. You are right that there is no bus service between Dresden and Leipzig, and between Leipzig and Berlin.

Alternatives:
For Dresden-Leipzig you can get a Sachsen Ticket (Single) at the ticket machines at the station. It's a day pass for rail travel in the whole state of Saxonia, costs €19, is limited to regional trains, and only good after 9am on a working day.
But the savings compared with regular fares are minimal: regular tickets cost €20 for regional trains, and €28 for ICE trains.

Leipzig-Berlin will cost €28.30 with regional trains (one change), or €40 with ICE trains (direct), but the ICE needs only bit more than 1 hour while the regional trains take 2 1/2 hrs.

ba739 Jul 10th, 2008 09:02 PM

Cowboy1968...Thank you for answering all my questions and the good advices. We are leaving this Sat from LAX and looking forward to the trip and the help from this board.

philip1313 Feb 23rd, 2010 06:48 AM

i found a very good site for traveling in germany!!

www.verkehrsmittelvergleich.de

check it out!great!