Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berlin & Munich Germany w/ side trip to Auschwitz in Poland

Sep 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thinking of doing this "last-minute" trip in October:

Day One: Arrive by plane into Krakow Poland in the evening (around 7:00pm) and either stay in hotel there or preferably one closer to Auschwitz

Day Two: 6- or 8-hr tour of Auschwitz

Day Three: Tour the salt mines or Krakow city ???

Day Four (morning): Fly to Munich

Day Five: Munich

Day Six: Munich

Day Seven (morning): Fly to Berlin

Day Eight: Berlin

Day Nine: Berlin

Day Ten: Berlin

Day Eleven: Depart early morning

I know this is pretty basic and a lot still has to be filled in, but before I go further with this itinerary, is there anything you would change? Is this do-able? Is there enough time? I'd leave out Berlin, but I'd really like to see the remnants of the Berlin Wall.

Suggestions...and more suggestions... VERY much appreciated!!
Sep 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't go to Berlin for the remnants of the Berlin Wall. Not much left, and there is so much more to see and do in Berlin.
Sep 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

I kind of wrote that hastily, but i meant the gate and whatever there is to see in that regard. Also would like to take a city tour and visit a couple "must see" sights. We're an active, middle-aged couple if that helps. Not interested in the nightly party scene.

I wish we had more time overall for the trip, but this is all the time we could get away right now.
Sep 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM

To me it personally seems like a lot of flights in a short time. Maybe do 3 cities where you can at least train between 2 of them or something. Krakow the city really deserves 2 days, Auschwitz one day and the Salt Mines half a day.

Salzburg near Munich is nice if you haven't been there. Berlin has a lot to do there but I do think younger tourists enjoy it more, it does have some really good museums though.
Sep 12th, 2010, 05:05 PM

I agree with lindy - too much hopping around for only 9 days on the ground.

I'd suggest you take another look at what you really want to see and choose two places to base yourselves.

Krakow is definitely worth a full day or preferably two - it's a lovely city. Auschwitz can be seen in 3-4 hours.

If you choose Munich as your second location, you could day-trip to the Romantic Road (touristy but for good reason), Ludwig's castles, and a number of other places in Bavaria.

I haven't been to Berlin, so can't comment on it.
Sep 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM

If your main reason to go to Krakow is to visit Auschwitz, I suggest that you visit the camps near Berlin or Munich, even if they are not absolute equivalents.
Sep 13th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Dachau is near Munich. We would definately recommend it. We have not been to Auschwitz but will go next year on our trip, but we plan on spending a week in Poland at the same time.

There is also a camp near Berlin, but we did not go to it.
Sep 14th, 2010, 09:29 AM

I agree that you need to cut one city.

Berlin is one of my favorite cities in Europe with so very much to do see. Sachausen is the concentration camp that can be visited easily from there. It is on our list for our upcoming (3rd) trip to Berlin in ten weeks.

I also quite like Munich and would perhaps split my stay between those 2 but I have never been to Krakow so cannot comment.