Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe, Kassel worth a visit?

Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all.

Saw the new World Heritage listing that include the Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe, Kassel in Germany. The picture looks so amazing.

Anyone been there who can advise what to expect and worth a detour there from Cologne?

Thank you.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 01:17 AM

It's quite a distance from Cologne but if you don't mind a bit of train travel I'd say, yes it is.

The main photo shows just the Hercules monument and the central cascade but there is a lot more. The park is an English landscape garden from the late 18th century with lots of little buildings, temples, monuments all over the park. Then there is the artificial ruin of Löwenburg castle and of course the palace itself which hosts a couple of museums, including an art gallery with a top-class collection of 17th century Dutch paintings.

If you want it truly spectacular, go on a Wednesday or Sunday afternoon: from 14:30 to 16:00 the original water machinery is turned on, the cascades, artificial waterfall etc. are running. I have not seen that (yet) but it must be impressive.

The easiest way is taking the bus that goes up to behind Hercules monument, and working your way downhill through the park. Access to the park is free, only the palace and Löwenburg charge an entrance fee for the interior.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

quokka, thanks for the feedback, will look into ways to fit in. Looking forward to see the water features running down.
Old Jul 5th, 2013, 12:13 AM

Thank you for bringing up this idea, LOL. I'll be travelling on that train route soon, and with a little tweak in my plans I can go on a Wednesday, and interrupt the journey in Kassel for a couple of hours.

A word about logisitcs. Long-distance trains arrive at the new main station named "Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe". This station is on the same side of the town as palace and park, but still a few kms away. Don't try walking (save your energy for the park, you'll need it) but take the tram.

Tram 1 goes straight to the palace, it is the end of the line.
For the way to the top as I suggested in the first post, take tram 3 to "Druseltal" (end of line) instead, and change to bus 22 there, bus stop "Herkules" is on the hilltop behind the monument.
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

quokka, if you are going to write a trip report, I shall be delighted to read it!