Notices

Bergen to Oslo

Jul 6th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Bergen to Oslo

We want to take a car in Norway because I want to do the Sognefjellet scenic drive from Lom to Aurland. We will spend a few days in Aurland and will do round-trips on the Flåm railway (Flåm <--> Myrdal) and the Sognefjord cruise.

The tricky part is getting ourselves back to Oslo after Bergen. I prefer to keep our rental car and drive all the way back to Oslo but this would mean that we can't ever ride the supposedly not-to-be-missed Bergen-Oslo train ride. I see that the road for vehicles does not mimic the train route so does this mean that, if I drive from Bergen to Oslo, we cannot see the same awe-inspiring scenery that the Bergen-Oslo train ride affords? IS there any way to see the same scenery, such as the waterfalls, even if it means detouring from the main road a little?

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice.
Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM

If you want to see the glacier at Finse close up, train (or bike) is the only option.
Leave car at Voss with co-driver, train to Finse and back, co-driver train to Haugastøl/Ustaoset/Geilo, join each other there?
There are not any great falls seen from the train. The only one worthwhile is Kjosfossen on Flåmsbana.
Aug 17th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Or drive via Voss to Oslo via Hardangervidda by way of Geilo
That way you can see Vøringfossen. Touristy though, so beware. The rest of Hardangervidda is breathtaking.

Search this Thread