Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bergen to Alesund (Geirangerfjord area) in late May

Feb 13th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Bergen or Flam (not sure at this point) in late May. I want to travel to Geirangerfjord specifically Alesund. What are my options. I looked into the Hurtigruten cruise from Bergen to Alesund but it doesn't seem feasible. A one-way rental car is not feasible economically and I've read certain roads may be closed until June. I prefer not to get on a bus. Is there a rail option from Bergen or towns on the Sognefjord to Geirangerfjord or Alesund? Thanks for the help.
Feb 13th, 2019, 01:36 PM

Car rentals are more expensive in Norway than in most other countries. Because of the coastal range, any train trip between Bergen and Alesund would seem to be a roundabout way for getting from point A to point B. If the roads are closed for car traffic, I would expect them to be closed for buses too. We did the trip between Bergen and Alesund, and then going on to Trondheim. We went through the high mountains rather than staying closer to the coast, which is what you might have to do to avoid snow. The day we left Bergen, in early July, is the day the glacier lakes were opened for kayaking. We rented the car through Autoeurope, and there was no one way fee, whereas there was one when renting through Kemwel. To see my trip report, click on my name and scroll down the list of trip reports.

Taken on Jul 7, 2009: