Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona/Mallorca in June. What to pack?? How glam is it? Help.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:25 AM
LKL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it may sound like a funny question but as I was going through my closet last night I suddenly started to get some anxiety! (btw - I'm a woman traveling with another woman)

From what I've read on the web, the weather should be mild. Mid 70's. So I have an idea as far as clothing weight. (that would be the first part of June)

But how.............glamorous? I've never been to Spain. I have visions of Europeans always dressing to perfection........tailored pants, flowing dresses, fancy shoes............ Am i living in fantasy land? Do Spaniards wear jeans? Or will I be pegged for a tourist?

Also, is it more casual on Mallorca than in Barcelona? I would like to try out some fine dining. I definitely plan to bring my "little black dress" and some heals. will that suffice?

Any packing tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM

I think you will find in to be a bit more relaxed on Mallorca/Majorca then in Barcelona, but that being said, Spaniards tend to dress when they go out for lunch and dinner, even at a beach resort, unless they are on the beach, then swimsuits are fine.
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM

In Barcelona, tourist and residents alike all seemed well-groomed and with a flair for fashion, not to say that jeans were not worn. Scarves were prevalent. Comfortable shoes are a must, though.
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Just so you know, no matter what you do you'll be pegged for a traveller, and that's okay. That said, I agree with the comments above, slightly more casual than Barcelona, but still more formal than America by a mile. I hope you don't mind if I add that, I don't worry too much about trying to match styles, it's about what I feel good in. The women there wear high heels ALL THE TIME and they are used to it. There's no way that I could have a great vacation if I was dressing in a way that wasn't comfortable for me. I look at it as I'm bringing something to the table, my sense of personal style. It's one of the things that makes me unique and I find people open up much more if you look interesting enough to bother with. I'm sure I'm not explaining this right, but I hope you get the idea of what I mean. Part of learning about another culture is exchange, and if you're trying to mimic them there's nothing to interest them in you.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Maybe it's easier to spot the differences for Americans, but Barcelona is a big city so you will see any style you can imagine.
They have a million visitors from all ends of the world per month, and few will care about the local styles. Which, as a result, makes the looks you can spot quite diverse.

When you see ladies dressed to kill in high heels having tapas on Passeig de Gràcia at 2pm, it can as well be a bunch of business women on their lunch break.

If you allow a certain stereotyping from a male perspective:
When Americans think about wearing "nice clothes", the results sometimes look too formal. It won't make you stand out, or make anyone even waste a thought, but there is usually no reason to overdo as if you were going to a cocktail reception atthe White House or a board meeting.

The dress style may be a bit more formal in Spain than further North, but it's also a matter of age and personal style.

When packing the little black and one pair of high heels make you feel comfortable, take them with you.

The best would be to take only half of what you think you need - and go shopping.

The Spaniards lead the pack in Europe when it comes to (affordable) clothes - not talking designers that charge €400 for a shirt or blouse.

Some examples for Spanish/Catalan brands:
Camper (designer trainers)
Munich Sports (designer trainers, again)
Custo
Desigual

And the ubiqious Zara outlet at almost any street corner - and more shoes stores than mankind needs.
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:34 AM
LKL
Original Poster

Great stuff!!

Thanks everyone!!!