Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bergamo or Bellagio? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bergamo-or-bellagio-594183/)

jillivanilli Feb 25th, 2006 09:54 AM

Bergamo or Bellagio?

We are flying home from Milan on June 3rd at around noon and would prefer to stay outside of Milan the night before our flight. We are thinking maybe either Bergamo or Bellagio (we'll be driving from Bolzano on the 2nd). We will have a car so is it reasonable to think that we could get up early and make it to the airport by 10am? Mapquest shows drive times of around an hour from Bergamo and about an hour and a half from Bellagio. If this sounds doable, any lodging suggestion? Also, is 10am a reasonable time to arrive at Malpensa for an international flight? Any info is much appreciated. I've found some great info on this board. Thanks.

jillivanilli Feb 25th, 2006 12:57 PM

ttt. Any

DownUnder Feb 25th, 2006 01:37 PM

Bergamo and Bellagio are two entirely different towns. Bellagio on Lake Como is quite beautiful and an enchanting place to visit. Bergamo has the Old Town which is very interesting , but not as magical as Bellagio. Be careful of map distances in Italy as it sometimes takes a lot longer to travel the distances because of the winding roads.
I have driven Milan/Bergamo and while a straight forward drive the time you are considering is peak hour for Milan. I haven't driven Bellagio/Malpensa as I understand it is windy and slow, but it is closer to Malpensa. I would allow a good hour more than you anticipate just because of the unfamiliar conditions. International flights require a minimum of two hours check in so don't cut things too fine.
In short it would definitely be Bellagio for me with advice from the locals on the travelling time.

SuQue Feb 25th, 2006 01:40 PM

A safer bet would be to stay in Ranco- or Stressa, on Lake Maggiore as you would be closer to Malpensa with an easier, not mountain, drive.

nessundorma Feb 25th, 2006 01:49 PM

You can reach Malpensa from Stresa on Lago di Maggiore in less than an hour. There are also travelers who stay at Lago di Orta.

You should always leave AT LEAST two hours before a flight to the US from Malpensa, and I never assume I'm going to get speedy service from a car rental clerk.

I wasn't wild about the hotel I stayed in Stresa, so I can't help you out with a recommendation. But tripadvisor probably can, or else Slow Travel.

lincasanova Feb 25th, 2006 02:31 PM

i certainly would avoid having to take the autostrasda from bergamo to malpensa for such an early airport arrival time.

we drove that route awhile back, and there had been an accident and the cars were backed up for at least 60 kms!!

go for l. maggiore.. stresa must have somewhere nice..

jillivanilli Feb 25th, 2006 03:14 PM

This is very helpful information and great suggestions. Our flight is on a Saturday so hopefully traffic will be somewhat lighter. I'll just make sure to leave plenty of time. Thanks for the responses.

bobthenavigator Feb 25th, 2006 04:32 PM

www.orta.net
:50 to Malpensa !

pilgrim Feb 25th, 2006 07:59 PM

If you do choose to stay in Bergamo,I've
stayed at the Best Western. Actually quite nice with a beautiful lobby with grand piano and marble floor. Have a great holiday!

sssteve Feb 25th, 2006 09:30 PM

The closest decent town near Malpensa is Arona. It's no big tourist attraction but it does have a selection of hotels and restaurants, and it is on lake Maggiore and it's less than a 30 minute drive to Malpensa.

I found it to be an excellent spot for the last night before a morning flight from malpensa.

jillivanilli Feb 26th, 2006 07:57 AM

Great, thanks. I'll look into Arona as well.