Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bercy area- Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bercy-area-paris-740346/)

mike_b12 Oct 2nd, 2007 12:00 PM

Bercy area- Paris

I will be taking the train to the Loire valley. Where is the Bercy train station? I will be staying on Rue Odessa in the 14th Arr.

kerouac Oct 2nd, 2007 12:10 PM

The Bercy train station is just behind Gare de Lyon in the 12th arrondissement. In terms of getting to rue d'Odessa, however, it will be super easy by metro. Just leave the train station and follow the signs to the Bercy metro station (no more than 100 meters, I think). Line 6 will take you straight to Montparnasse-Bienvenue, where there is a rue d'Odessa exit. But you will have a long walk at Montparnasse, because the rue d'Odessa exit is next to lines 4 & 12 and there is a VERY LONG corridor (albeit with an efficient moving walkway) from where lines 6 & 13 are found.

If you pop out of the Montparnasse station at random, look for a lot of neon at the opposite side of Tour Montparnasse, and when you see the Gaumont Parnasse cinema multiplex, that's rue d'Odessa.

kerouac Oct 2nd, 2007 12:12 PM

Or are you going in the opposite direction? The Bercy train station has trains to Italy, not to the Loire valley.

PalenQ Oct 2nd, 2007 12:51 PM

only there have been Sundays in the past year where trains to Orleans, Blois on the old classic line have been diverted to Gare de Lyon whilst the ongoing repairs at Austerlitz are worked on

This happened to French friends who returned to paris on a Sunday and i had read that on Sundays for a few months such trains were leaving from Gare de Lyon - which could mean Bercy i guess as Gare de Lyon itself is overcrowded. And when they got to paris they inquired and yes left from Gare de Lyon, crossing the Seine at Juvisy or wherever that Paris bypass rail bridge is to going the Austerlitz-Les Aubrais line.

remote but possible.

but probably not and the main rail route to Loire yes is from Montparnasse by TGV to St-Pierre-des-Corps in Tours.

mike_b12 Oct 2nd, 2007 01:43 PM

Sorry my error, It is the overnight train to Venice from Bercy.
Thanks

mike_b12 Oct 2nd, 2007 02:30 PM

I will be taking a daytrip to Blois leaving from Austerlitz. Where is that station located?

TimS Oct 2nd, 2007 05:37 PM

Gare d'Austerlitz is on the Rive Gauche (Left Bank) directly across the river from Gare de Lyon.

Go to www.ratp.fr and download and print a metro/RER map for central Paris. The mainline train stations are easily identifiable.

mike_b12 Oct 2nd, 2007 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the help!

superheterodyne Oct 2nd, 2007 11:49 PM

If you need to take Métro Line 6 from the Rue d'Odessa, just spare yourself the huge walk inside Montparnasse-Bienvenüe which kerouac has described and board the train at Edgar Quinet.

sheila Oct 3rd, 2007 12:39 AM

It's posts like this that just gobsmack me. What a high quality of information provided!

mike_b12 Oct 3rd, 2007 09:48 AM

The hotel emailed me directions and said to take the # 4 to Montparnasse Bienvenue.

kerouac Oct 3rd, 2007 09:51 AM

Line 4 from Bercy to Montparnasse? Pray tell, how?

tod Oct 3rd, 2007 10:25 AM

The Frenchman shook his head. "Eet eez not possible. Not even for zee English!"
(Quote: The Sea on our Left by Shally Hunt)

mike_b12 Oct 3rd, 2007 11:55 AM

Sorry for the confusion. The directions for metro # 4 are from CDG airport to the hotel.
Bercy is for when I leave Paris for Venice.

Keren Oct 4th, 2007 12:38 AM

Mike, it seems you'll be staying at the Michel, right? I looked up your previous thread on the subject and recognized the address.
Friends of mine were very pleased there last March, when they stayed for 6 nights.
Two good restaurants they loved were the Italian Il Barone, 5 Rue Léopold Robert, and the French Chez Marcel, 7 rue Stanislas. Both are a short walk from the hotel.

mike_b12 Oct 4th, 2007 08:36 AM

Keren,
You are right.
I will be staying at the Quality Hotel Michel for five nights. Thank you so much for the information.