Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Berchtesgaden Hotels/Pensions--Krone, Floriani?

Aug 8th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Marty

Hello. My husband and I will be traveling to Germany in mid-October and will be in Berchtesgaden for approximately 4 nights. I see that lots of folks on this site have been keen on the Hotel Watzmann, but it doesn't really appeal to me for some reason. I've been searching around the Web and stumbled upon the Hotel Krone and the Hotel Floriani. Wondering if anyone out there has stayed at either establishment or is familiar with any other good finds. We are trying to keep within $50-80 a night.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Aug 8th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Bob

You are missing a bet by not using the Watzmann, but we have also stayed at the Post Hotel in Berchtesgaden. Not as much ambiance as the Watzmann, but it was clean and had nice rooms. Centrally located also.

Another hotel to check is the old Berchtesgadener Hof Hotel. Hitler's generals stayed there in WWII. The US Army took it over after WWII and we stayed there in the early 70s while in the Army. I noticed on our last trip that the hotel was now not a US Army hotel and was being refurbished. Should be very nice now, but have no info on rates, etc.

The Geiger outside of town is recommended in many of the books also. I am unfamiliar with your two suggestions...sorry.

Aug 8th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Marty

Thank you for the tip; I will indeed check into the status of the old Berchtesgadener Hof. (I may even remember it, as the last time I was in the area was when I was a Dept. of Defense brat in the late 70's!)

And perhaps I will reconsider my mysterious aversion to the Watzmann!

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Aug 9th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Paige

I prefer to stay on the Koenigssee at the Hotel Schiffmeister. It costs about 150dm for a double and is right by the lake. During the day the area is overrun with tourists but in the morning and evening it's quiet, peaceful and beautiful. When we stay there we take the boat across the lake, hike, shop around the hotel and take the cable car up Mt. Jenner. It's really a beautiful area. Here's the website:
http://www.jowi.de/schiffmeister/FrameSet.html
It's about 20 minutes and 20dm by taxi from the Berchtesgaden train station. The guy that runs it is super nice.

Aug 9th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Emily

Will you have a car?? Do your prefer being in the town, or in a more quiet area??

The Geiger went out of business 2 summers ago and the Hof is shut down

Aug 9th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Marty

Thank you for the responses. I should have noted this in my original message, but we will NOT have a car. If we did, we'd probably stay somewhere on the Koenigsee or outlying, but considering that we won't, I think we will need to stick pretty close to town and the Altstadt. And thank you for the tip on the Geiger's closing--that explains why I couldn't find any info on it!

Anyone stayed at the Wittelbach? I think that it is on the "main drag" and I saw a recommendation on the Ben's Bauernhof Web site.

Thanks again, everyone, and any more suggestions or recommendations are most appreciated.

Aug 9th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Doug

I don't know why you wouldn't want to stay at the Watzmann unless you resent a helpful staff; nice big, old rooms; huge breakfast buffets and a centralized location. Not to mention decent prices. If you're afraid that it's a big, Americanized hotel, beleive me, it's as German and quaint as you can get.