Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

berchtesgaden: eagle's nest, konigsee, and salt mines in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all -
I'm working on more detailed planning of our trip now, especially the week in Salzburg. I've gathered from your posts here over the years that the salt mine in Berchtesgaden is arguably the best in the area (Hallein being #2, Hallstatt #3). We were already planning to go to Eagle's Nest (for the view only, not planning to spend time in the doc center) and hope to do the boat ride across Konigsee on the same day; would it be feasible to do the salt mines on the same day as well? I know Eagle's Nest and the salt mine have timed entry, so do you think we could do Eagle's Nest in the morning, salt mine in afternoon, and then catch a boat across Konigsee? We will have relatively long days (late May), and we could rent a car if that is easier to connect the 3 points (we'll be doing this as a daytrip from Salzburg).

Thanks for your help!
- M
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM

If you are only interested in the view, I would skip the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest real name) You can waste a lot of time getting on the bus (no cars allowed) that takes you from the Obersalsberg Parking Lotto the elevator for the final ascend. Instead, I would take the Jenner gondola lift to the the top of the Jenner. Same great view. The Jenner base station shares the parking lot with the that of the Koenigsee, and is within walking distance of the boat landing.

If you decide on the electric boats, then - on a day when tghere is a lot of tourist traffic - don't get off at the St. Bartholomae stop to visit the chuech, but continue to the end of the lake. On busy days (like Sat. and Sun.) it can take quite some time to get back on a boat at St.B.

The Salt Mine is along the road (B-305) between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden. Frankly, you really don't need a car for that day's trip, unles you have a rental already. The Salzburg bus stops at the Berchtesgaden RR station. Another bus from there goes to the Jenner/Koenigsee (and also to the Obersalzberg). The Salzburg - B'gdn bus stops at the Saltmine (Salzbergwerk).
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 12:40 PM

treplow-you gave such good suggestions to meriberi's question. I'm going to use your advice during our stay in Berchetesgaden when we want to combine the boat ride and a visit to a salt mine. thanks, Deborah
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, treplow! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for! I found the timetable for bus 840 from Salzburg; looks like the salzbergwerk is the 3rd stop before Berchtesgaden. Then once we get to Berchtesgaden Hbf, I believe you said (on another post) that the Jenner cable car and Konigsee boat dock are to the left - so can we just walk there from the Hbf?

http://www.rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/...he/fpl/840.pdf
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
ira

Hi M,

I agree with "If you are only interested in the view, I would skip the Kehlsteinhaus ".

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Just to make sure: Coming from Salzburg, at the B'gdn train station you pick up another bus to go to the Jenner/Koenigsee. It's about 1/2 hr. ride (or less, I usually drive it, so not quite sure.)
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so it looks like I pick up bus 841? It shows a route from Berchtesgaden Hbf to Konigsee and Jennerbahn:

http://www.rvo-bus.de/site/rvo__bus/...he/fpl/841.pdf

Can I use the same ticket to transfer, or do I buy another ticket for the 2nd bus?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM

I apologize for the piggy-backing on your thread, but is this something that could be done from Munich or Innsbruck? We have a day in each we have not scheduled yet and I had thought to visit this area (via train to the local, then bus) from one of these two cities. Is this possible/advisable? We are planning a day trip to Salzburg but would think that would be one whole day there. Thanks for any advice/info.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM

Aboehmer, the trip from either Innsbruck or Munich is about 3 hours each way, plus the bus from Berchtesgaden Hbf to wherever you want to visit. You will not be able to see a whole lot because you will be spending most of your time traveling to & from Berchtesgaden, rather than enjoying it.

We are spending a few nights in Schoenau am Koenigssee, arriving on Monday 5/28, just so we can relax and enjoy the beauty of the area.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was interested in the distance so I appreciate the information. We will look for something different.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:53 AM

I think the only thing worth seeing there was the doc center and the bunkers underneath.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

FYI, we found that we could've done the Jennerbahn, boat on Konigsee, and salt mine all in one day in late May if we'd had a car. Since we were using the buses, however, we only did the Jennerbahn and the Konigsee boat that day. Later we did the salt mine and were honestly a little disappointed - it wasn't really very interesting to us; just two short slides and a short underground boat ride.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 07:48 AM

Very helpful Meriberi that you wrote back AFTER your trip and following the above advice. I am leading a group of 18 on a bus down from Munich and I'm trying to decide what is most important and how much we can do in a day....then onto Salzburg for the night. I think the salt mines I will leave off. I will have to read reviews of the doc center and bunkers....but I do have retired military taking the trip so the Eagle's Nest may be too important to miss.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When we did this we were booked on the, at that time, only "authorized" EN tour and we decided to do the K-see first. BIG mistake since we got delayed, for reasons I cannot remember, out at that island in the middle of the lake and almost missed the tour departure.

Obviously it depends on what interests you the most and for us, the entire EN tour including the bunkers, the elevator ascent, etc., etc., turned out to be far more memorable.