Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   BENELUX trip, help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/benelux-trip-help-needed-896106/)

laoutlaw Jun 23rd, 2011 09:40 AM

BENELUX trip, help needed

Hi,

Kicking around the idea of a Benelux trip for late March/early-mid April 2012 with a side trip via ferry over to England (to London-- I have some friends that live there).

I will have about 12 days (allowing the other 4 days for staying with my friends in London). I will be flying from the USA/east coast.

Thought I'd either fly into London, catch the ferry over to Netherlands, then on thru Belgium and Luxembourg --OR--- the reverse of that trip (depending which flight in & out is cheaper).

What large airport is convenient to fly into if I start with Luxembourg? I was thinking possibly into Frankfurt, then catching a train to Lux City??

Also, any hints/tips/suggestions on what to see/best stops/cities. (I'm a single female in her mid 30's travelling by myself!)

THANKS bunches in advance!!
LAO

PalenQ Jun 23rd, 2011 10:42 AM

Luxembourg's Findel Airport is a major international airport - Brussels and Frankfurt may have more flights no doubt but are at least a few hours away by train. Bruges is the consensus, almost, of a don't miss town. If you are traveling a lot by train in these countries investigate the Benelux Railpass that allows you to hop on at will most trains in Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg - for lots of great info on Benelux trains and the ferry check out these fab IMO sites - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.

As usual I strongly recommend, after decades of incessant rail travel in those countries going first class - basically most trains in one of the world's most densely populated areas (I believe Holland has a density rate exceeding that even of India!) can at rush hours act as commuter trains and can be SRO in 2nd class but there will still be always IME lots of empty seats in first class and seat are bigger and if luggage easier to store right next to you in an empty seat rather in a possible already full overhead luggage rack in 2nd class.

Apart from the ferry you may find some real cheap fares on Eurostar trains London to Brussels if you book early - check out www.eurostar.com for fares in pounds that you can book online. There can be advance discounts on the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferries too, that include rail travel to Harwich from London and from Hook of H to Amsterdam.

www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.

thursdaysd Jun 23rd, 2011 10:46 AM

I did a Benelux trip (plus London and Rhineland) back in 2003 and enjoyed it. I rode second class on the trains quite happily. Trip report here: http://www.wilhelmswords.com/faq/index.html

menachem Jun 26th, 2011 10:12 AM

If you go by ferry from Harwich to Hoek van Holland and back, make sure you take nightboats. Otherwise you will spend a day traveling on the ferry. Eurostar is better IMO, especially if you make Brussels a stop and Bruges.

nytraveler Jun 26th, 2011 10:42 AM

We have toured that area a couple of times by car and really think that's the way to go. there are a lot of sights in smaller towns and villages and being stuck with train schedules can be a PIA. That way we found some enchanting small towns, beautiful churches, quaint castles and incredible small museums that would have been very difficult by train.

If you aren't comfortable driving you can see quite a few places by train - but this will make some places difficult and cut down on the total number of places you will get to.

PalenQ Jun 27th, 2011 09:27 AM

Are there still overnight ferries on the hariwch to Hook route? I know the new fast day boats only take a few hours.

hetismij Jun 27th, 2011 09:41 AM

Yees there are still night boats - they leave at 22.30 from Hoek and arrive at 04.30 in Harwich although you don't leave the boat until 06.30. Going the other way they leave at 23.15 and arrive at 07.45. Check in is from early evening.

The fast ferry is no more - too expensive sadly.