Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ben Haines (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ben-haines-692078/)

Tim_Haines Mar 29th, 2007 01:37 AM

Ben Haines

Dear all,

My uncle, Ben Haines, who was a regular participant on this site, died on 27 Feb 07. There will be a memorial service for him in London in around 3 weeks time to which everyone is welcome to attend. Further details will be available by emailing me.

Sincere apologies if I have broken any of the rules here (this is my first and only posting).

Yours,

Tim Haines.

elina Mar 29th, 2007 01:55 AM

Oh my God. My condolences. Just a second ago I commented his posting. I have read his informative answers on two different boards, and admired his spirit. Search, and you will find his great Estonia report.

endlessummer Mar 29th, 2007 02:04 AM

Oh my goodness, what a shock. I am so very sorry for your loss and for your family. As a Londoner, I deferred to Ben in his advice on London - in fact, I frequently checked and printed his postings more than anyone else's on London, mostly for myself! He is the expert. And he will be very sadly missed.

hanl Mar 29th, 2007 02:05 AM

My sincerest condolences.

Though I only know of Ben Haines through his posts on this and the Lonely Planet message board, your uncle came across as an extremely kind, polite and helpful gentleman.

He will be greatly missed.

lincasanova Mar 29th, 2007 02:09 AM

My sincere condolences, although my only contact with your generous, extremely helpful uncle has been through this board.

I am surprised my how deeply saddened I am, and hope that someone more computer literate than myself can organize his well received participation for you to have as a keepsake.

Your uncle is one of the most appreciated and respected persons here, and I am sure this thread will become one of the longest .

You can be proud of him for his constant enthusiasm he shared with us on all his travels.

May he rest in peace and be in all our memories.

My thoughts are with you. Thank you so much for posting.

Sher Mar 29th, 2007 02:12 AM

Certainly no apologies are needed.

In fact, we are grateful that you have taken the time and effort to notify us.

I think you must have realized how highly regarded he is here and that we appreciate more than you know your thoughtfulness in taking the time to post.

Nikki Mar 29th, 2007 02:17 AM

Thank you so much for letting us know about your uncle's death. I feel privileged to have been able to read the literate, informed advice he gave to strangers and the tales of the wanderings of his adventurous spirit. I am picturing him on his bicycle in the streets of Paris.

car Mar 29th, 2007 02:18 AM

Bye Ben, we will miss you.

kerouac Mar 29th, 2007 02:19 AM

Ben Haines was a shining beacon on the Lonely Planet site, which he showed magnificent patience and consideration for even the most ignorant posters. I didn't see him as much here, but I'm sure that he was appreciated just as much.

kleeblatt Mar 29th, 2007 02:22 AM

My deepest condolences. He will be sorely missed.

One of Ben's last postings was on March 5, informing us about gardens in Britain. A beautiful thread.

Could you have meant that Ben passed away on 27 March?

Tim_Haines Mar 29th, 2007 02:25 AM

Yes - my error - I meant March, not February. Thank you all for your kind words.

MissPrism Mar 29th, 2007 02:28 AM

He will be very much missed.
I specially liked his Week of Walks in London
http://www.victorianresearch.org/haineswalks.html

Carrybean Mar 29th, 2007 02:29 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a true gentleman & a wealth of information. He will be missed.

dancintomusic Mar 29th, 2007 02:34 AM

I am so sorry. He was such a sweet and helpful person. His presence on this board will be sorely missed.

GeoffHamer Mar 29th, 2007 02:37 AM

This is very sad news. His wise and cultured advice on the more civilised aspects of European life will be greatly missed.

sheila Mar 29th, 2007 02:41 AM

He was a lovely gentleman. I'll miss him.

SandyBrit Mar 29th, 2007 02:42 AM

Dear Tim Haines,

Thank you for sharing this very sad news that your uncle Mr. Ben Haines has died. We can all learn a lesson from his wonderful outlook on life and his kindness and respect to others. He will be greatly missed.

Sandy

elina Mar 29th, 2007 02:46 AM

I tried to search his Estonia trip report which I mentioned but sadly I cannot find it. He had problems with his leg, had drinks with the ambassador of Finland, participated in some beer festival, made wonderful and funny observations...

Kate Mar 29th, 2007 02:52 AM

Oh my God, that's such a shock. I don't think I'd be out of turn by saying that Ben was the most respected poster on this site. My sincere condolences.

Margo_Chester Mar 29th, 2007 02:53 AM

Dear Tim, thank you for letting us know your uncle passed away. His contribution here was vast and he will be missed. Always a gentleman, a wealth of information, and an important part of our community here. My thoughts are with your famiy.