Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bellagio, Verona, Bologna, or Siena....? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bellagio-verona-bologna-or-siena-514828/)

Bruingirl Mar 22nd, 2005 09:48 AM

Bellagio, Verona, Bologna, or Siena....?

Need some advice...

We are planning a May 05 trip to Europe:
Flying in to Munich/Salzburg for 4 days
???? for 3 days
Sorrento/Pompeii for 2 days
Ending in Rome for 4 days

We'd like to do something in between there for 2-3 days, but are having problems deciding. Here are some of our prospects:

1. Bellagio/Como (never been--looks/sounds so beautiful and romantic)
2. Verona (been to Venice, but not to Verona--could do dinner in Venice for one of the nights?)
3. Bologna (never been, but have heard this is *THE* place for food in Italy--and we are all about the food :))
4. Siena (Been to Florence, but didn't really explore Tuscany--would love to do some wine tastings or something here?)

We LOVE food and wine, art, music, and just strolling around town eating gelato and people watching.

Any strong opinions about these places? Or is there somewhere I'm forgetting? I'd love to fly to Vienna or Prague, but that would probably just be too crazy.

Thanks in advance!!

ira Mar 22nd, 2005 09:54 AM

Hi B,

I would

1. add 3 days to Sorrento and enjoy the Amalfi Coast.

2. 2 days in Bologna and add 1 day to Sorrento and enjoy the Amalfi Coast

3. 2 days in Verona and add 1 day to Sorrento and enjoy the Amalfi Coast

4. 3 days at the lakes.

((I))

bobthenavigator Mar 22nd, 2005 10:25 AM

Are you driving? If so, I would do 2 nites in Siena and add a day to AC.
If not, I would do Verona for 2 days.

LoveItaly Mar 22nd, 2005 12:40 PM

Hi Bruingirl, boy fantastic choices make life difficult don't they, LOL.

Going along with Ira's thoughts I would choise (depending how much moving around you want to do) Ira's no. l choice or his no. 2 choice.

I would, if you are thinking of Verona versus Bologna, pick Bologna over Verona.

Whatever you plan do have a wonderful trip and enjoy every moment.

wliwl Mar 22nd, 2005 02:13 PM

I just read the greatest article about the outdoor opera in Verona. They hold them in an ancient coloseum. There are reserved seats and stone seats. Apparently the accoustics are so great that you can hear every note anywhere in the place. People bring their kids, their picnics, and it is all quite informal (definitely not the Met). Sounds like it should not be missed. I sure would love to go there!

LoveItaly Mar 22nd, 2005 02:33 PM

Hello wliwl, it is fantastic. I truly hope that you have the opportunity to experience the opera in Venice.

Just for your information. The opera's are held June, July and August.

I think we all have dreams of somewhere we want to be at some time in life. I know I have. Do something to make that dream come true if nothing else then just starting a "piggy bank".

Best wishes.