Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bellagio to Malpensa for 7:30 am flight..Is it doable?

Bellagio to Malpensa for 7:30 am flight..Is it doable?

Jun 17th, 2000, 04:31 PM
Joan Frankel

Bellagio to Malpensa for 7:30 am flight..Is it doable?

My husband and I will be staying in Bellagio at the Hotel Belvedere for the last two nights of our trip to Italy. I am concerned about getting to Malpensa airport for a 7:30 am flight out on a Saturday morning. Is this possible to do? What is the best way to get there? I am assuming the ferries and hydrofoils don't run that early in the morning! Should we just stay near Malpensa airport the night before?

Jun 17th, 2000, 06:30 PM
Bob

We did the same journey in October. Stayed at the Bellagio and drove to airport for flight at 1pm. I do not remember if the ferries are working at the time you need. I do know that the easiest drive to the airport is to ferry across the lake and drive the western side down. You do not need a ferry to drive the east side down, but the road is very narrow and takes longer. My advice is to check out the ferry schedule when you arrive Bellagio. If it runs early enough, use it. If not, you may have to spend last night at airport or on the other side of the lake from the Belvedere. Re the Belvedere: Ask for a room on their floor 1. These rooms have very large balconies with great views of the lake. The rooms above that level do not have the large balconies. Nice hotel, great area.

Jun 18th, 2000, 07:46 AM
Don

It will take you an 1 and 1/2 hrs max thru Lecco. We stayed in Bellagio and then drove to Lecco late the last day then drove on into Milan in less than an hour the next day. I'd get up and leave Bellagio at 4 AM to allow plenty of time. Then you'll be tired and sleep!

Jun 19th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Cheryl Z.

We just came from Tremezzo, just opposite from Bellagio on Lago di Como, and because of our 8 AM departure, opted to spend the last nights in Milano (will have info posted about our trip by this weekend). While Malpensa is not too long of a drive from Como or Lecco, remember, you still have to be at the airport early for international flights. I don't think the ferries run that early, and as mentioned above the roads are very narrow and wind around with hairpin curves. If you choose to drive directly from Bellagio, that road down the peninsula to the mainland is even curvier and more narrow. Traffic won't be too bad so early in the morning BUT it will be dark (if you're driving around 4 AM or so) and not very easy. I'd say, avoid the stress and stay in Milano, or close to the airport if you want to avoid Milano. (but I think Milano is worth seeing!)

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Al

Way too far. The ferries DO NOT run that early, and winding road takes 45-60 minutes just to Como. I'd recommend staying in Busto Arsizio or Legnano.

Search this Thread