Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I day/1 city only in Scotland- Which one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 07:41 AM
Tommi

After a mediterranean cruise, we have one day that we can spend before flying out of London. I've always wanted to go to Scotland (ancestry) and would like to know which one city I should chose to spend one full day and one night in. Tommi

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 08:39 AM
Dick

Edinburgh, no doubt about it, and you'll wish you had 4 more days.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Jaime

I second the vote for Edinburgh...or the Isle of Skye if you like scenic beauty.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Sheila

One day; one city? <BR> <BR>Edinburgh

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Paul

One strong vote for Glasgow. Edinburgh is nice but Glasgow wins out.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:31 AM
bill

EDINBROUGH. <BR>If you stay close to the center of the <BR>city or near Edinbrough University al- <BR>most everything is walkable. Castle, <BR>Museum of Scotland worthwhile just for <BR>architecture alone, Holyrood house and <BR>walking down Princes Street is a good <BR>experience. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip <BR>Bill

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Thyra

Count me on the Edinburgh side. Glasgow is a great, fun town, with lots of university students, but IMO you would enjoy Edinburgh more. The castle and the Royal Mile very dramatic and full of history, whisky and very nice people.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Jeff

Hi Tommi, <BR> I definitely vote for Edinburgh!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 04:44 PM
Paul

Edinburgh - because you have just one day and that city will visually knock your socks off quicker (rather, instantly), while Glasgow, fully capable of doing the same thing, may take a little longer to do it. I'm still amazed at how two large cities only 40 or 50 miles apart can have such different feels to them - don't see that too often. Glasgow usually gets the short shrift but in my book is just as fun as Edinburgh. Easyjet.com (for EDI) and Ryanair (for GLA) are the fastest and cheapest ways from London I know of to make the most of a short stay. Also, should your trip be in August, don't forget that the festivals are held three weeks every August in Edinburgh - it's bursting at the seams and booked-up to the max.