Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bellagio or Cinque Terre for 3 days--which would you pick?

Aug 24th, 2000, 09:53 AM
howard

Have a business/pleasure trip to Italy in early October. Our host has given us the option of 3 days in Cinque Terre or Bellagio. Which would you select and why? Thanks in advance.

Aug 24th, 2000, 11:30 AM
jeen

Hi Howard,

I was in this region a lonnngg time ago, but as I recall both are quite nice. Cinque Terre I believe means "five towers" and we were skiing there. It has an upscale European ski-village feel to it. Bellagio on the other hand, (noting this was a while ago) was more lake area and very scenic with neat little towns. Personally I would choose that as I remember it to be very pretty. Depends on what you are looking for.

Hope that helps (and be sure to buy shoes while you are there! I Love shoes made in Italy - even the boyfriend had bought a pair!)

Aug 24th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Sandra

Recently returned from Italy. Haven't been to Bellagio, but stayed at Stresa on Lake Maggiore in the same region. Depends on what you'd like to do, and also the weather at that time. Cinque Terre is actually five towns along the Italian Riviera, connected by footpaths. Beautiful area, we loved the Liguria region, we stayed in a town called Santa Margherita near Cinque Terra and its famous neighbor, Portofino. If you love to hike and enjoy smaller towns with less crowds, more character and are OK with fewer amenities, CT would be wonderful. Bellagio is a big tourist destination, and beautiful from every report I've heard. More hotels with more amenities, beautiful, relaxing. Just depends on your style and what you want to get out of those 3 days. Have a great trip!

Aug 24th, 2000, 04:02 PM
JimF

I have been to both and Sandra is right on about the Cinque Terre (Five Lands). If you are taken with what Sandra says, then I would go to the Cinque Terre. Bellagio, on Lake Como, is a big tourists destination, but it is not "big". Personally I would choose Bellagio because it is small and, I feel, more relaxing. The Cinque Terre is very nice but, I have also been to the Amalfi Coast and it does not compare. Thus my preference for Bellagio. Either way, you cannot go wrong.

Aug 25th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Don and Linda

Hi Howard,

It really depends upon what you enjoy doing when traveling. To get the most out of the Cinque Terre, one would hike the trails that connect the five towns. A stay in Bellagio would be a less physical experience.

You can read our impressions of both places in the travelogues on our non-commercial web site, TheTravelzine.com, http://www.thetravelzine.com.

Happy travels,
Don and Linda

Aug 25th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Brian Kilgore

If you can find a summer issue of Gourmet with frozen juice sticks on the cover you can read about Cinque Terre. My daughter was there several times in late July, and wants to go back. It's a great hiking place, if you have energy and good boots.
BAK

Aug 25th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Kelly

Check out a web site on Bellagio from another traveler. I found this when doing some research but haven't made my own trip yet to see for myself. Great photos and info. on Bellagio, Annecy, France, Zermatt, Switzerland and Venice, Italy. http://www.lunadesigns.com/travels/bellagio/index.htm

Aug 25th, 2000, 03:27 PM
Bob

We did 2 nights in Portovenere (Cinque Terre) and 3 nights in Bellagio last October. Returned again to Portovenere this July. My choice: Bellagio, no question. Beautiful area. Very relaxing. You will not be disappointed. Portovenere to me was a little disappointing. I read great things about it but in 2 visits the town never really clicked with me. We also did the tour of the other five towns last Octrober. Go for Bellagio first....Cinque Terre on your next visit.

Aug 26th, 2000, 07:48 AM
howard

Thank you all very, very much. Your comments and the two suggested websites (both of which, along with Bellagio's--fromitaly.net/bellagio) convinced us that we want the type of experience that Bellagio can offer. Since we just got back from a great outdoor vacation in Yosemite, we'll save the hiking in Cinque Terre for our next trip to Italy.
Again, thank you all!

Aug 27th, 2000, 09:55 AM
jane

Returned recently from 31 days in Italy, France, and England. Only 1.5 days,2 nights at Cinque Terre. Stayed at this hotel in Levanto: 30 May Cinque Terre Name: Villa Margherita by the Sea. Address: Via Tento e Triste n. 31
Price and Amenities: $72, TV phone, internet, LA Times recommended: villamargherita.net (check out the web site) Phone: 0187807212- absolutely great. For that small price, we had a private balcony w/ a terrific view! Took the train to the 5 towns, and had a great day. I have a fear of heights and edges, so no hiking from town to town. But it makes for a great day. One day. I thought cinque terre meant five "towns" or "lands"- but it was very pretty! But you're limited; you'd need a rental car to go elsewhere.

We flew into Milan at the beginning of the trip, and stayed just north of Como. Drove around the north end of the lake, and took the boat from Verrano (?) on the east coast to Bellagio, on the recommendation of a colleague. We found it overly touristy, and not much to do there. We plan to go back to Como again next time, but stay down IN Como. We were there for 2.5 days/2nights, and it wasn't enough to see/walk/explore. I'd recommend going to Bellagio and taking the ferry all around the lake and exploring the small towns/cities. Our accomodations which we liked very much were: 23/24 May Como Name: Best Western Grand Hotel Imperial Address: Via Durini, Molstrasio (Como) Price and amenities: $145 incl tax. Lake View, King Bed, full breakfast, Phone: 031 346111