My boyfriend and I are in our mid twenties and are planning a trip to Belgium and / or Luxembourg at the end of August. We are spending the first three days of our trip in Copenhagen and will be flying to the Benelux region. We will have three nights and four full days to spend in the area. Our flight back to the United States leaves out of Dusseldorf so we will need to make our way there, but plan to spend only one night somewhere near the airport.
We are having trouble prioritizing cities and places to spend our four days. We have laid out our preliminary itinerary below and would appreciate any suggestions. We are planning to rent a car between Luxembourg City and Bruges. We are interested in exploring cities (not much of museum people), doing some outdoor activities, and would like to fit in some of the beer culture as well. It's important to us to experience some smaller towns as well, rather than hopping from big city to big city (sight to sight).
Day 1 - Early morning flight CPH to LUX; remainder of day in Luxembourg City
Day 2 - Either a castle (such as Chateau de Vianden) or the caves at either Hotton or Rochefort in the morning; slow drive to Bruges with stops along the way
Day 3 - Bruges
Day 4 - Morning in Bruges; afternoon train to Brussels with an evening train to Dusseldorf
Are we missing anything crucial? There's much more we would like to see but given our limited number of days, we don't want to squeeze too much in. We're thinking about forgoing time in Brussels in favor of more time in Bruges. Is this worthwhile? Should we be considering Ghent rather than Bruges?
Thank you for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 2 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 3 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 4 Amalfi as a home base for the Amalfi Coast
- 5 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 6 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 7 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 8 Help me with an affordable hotel in Barcelona
- 9 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 10 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 11 A very important question regarding pronunciation
- 12 Paris November 2017
- 13 Has Berlin Banned Vacation Rentals?
- 14 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 15 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 16 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 17 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 18 Barcelona to Malaga
- 19 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 20 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 21 Christmas week in Ireland
- 22 Salerno as a base to visit Amalfi Coast
- 23 Traveling by car Munich to Soelden Austria
- 24 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 25 Rome - Naples - Paestum - Salerno - Ravello Trip Report