Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Belgium/Germany Austria/Bavaria/Switzerland

Belgium/Germany Austria/Bavaria/Switzerland

Feb 9th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Belgium/Germany Austria/Bavaria/Switzerland

Hi
First I would like to say I really appreciate this site it is an incredible resource and I want to thank everyone who will help me with my trip.

The details are this ... I am spending a month driving . We begin our journey in Bruges. This is not something I can change so there is no need to tell me I should fly to Munich because I can't at this point.
Some back info, every summer we take a driving trip usually 6 weeks + somewhere in Europe. This will be our shortest trip to date so I am worried that this trip is a bit too much for this timeframe. I have one month to go from Bruges down through Germany Austria/Bavaria/Switzerland and be back in Brugge in 4 weeks time. Of course I can delete and alter locations at this point. IT will be myself and my two boys
ages 13 and 10 on this trip, as all our trips.

So what would be amazing helpful if you can help me with stops and an itinerary down and back.
Since we live in big city, large cities as a whole are not as appealing as small villages, but that is not to say we would not visit them.

I thought we would start by spending two days seeing Bruges and Ghent my plan was to skip Brussels on the way down maybe catch it on the way up. I am somewhat lost
with my itinerary, I have read so much about this area that I have confused myself.

I think we will go to our furthest point first which is near Salzburg. My plan was to spend 3 days in Berchtesgaden and visit Salzburg, Hallstatt , Lake Konigosee, eagles nest

Then move onto Fussen area and spend 4 nights visiting Nauschwanstein and Hohenschwagau castles, Mittenwald, Garmisch, Tegelberg cable car, Linderholf Palace

Then I thought we would make our way towards Stein am Rhein, Rapperswil-Jona, Grindelwald, Gruyeres and visit Chillion castle before making our way back up.

As you can see I don't have much of a plan yet. Wedont mind doing one night here and there but what would prefer is to spend two to three days ...Can be more .. in an area and see a few things, I have found over the years that is a good way to travel with children.

Any help you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 9th, 2017, 07:37 AM

Between Belgium and Salzburg there are many options. Not sure what you're after. Castles? Visit these 3 in the vicinity of Koblenz:

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...neland-castles

Unlike super-touristy N'stein and H'schwangau (which are both palaces actually, N'stein being completed just before 1900) these are real castles from 800-1,000 years ago.

Boppard, just south of Koblenz, is a GREAT base town for 3 days in this area.

The Rhine River cruise is a good option. Take the train to Bingen, cruise back to Boppard (2.3 hours) and you'll see some great river scenery, attractive villages, more castles: http://www.bingen-ruedesheimer.de/wp...t-Objekt-1.jpg

When you visit Burg Eltz, make a stop in Cochem - a very precious place. Others know about it though, and it gets busy in summer: http://www.der-takt.de/typo3temp/_pr...087e83a8d1.jpg

Check into these other options roughly on your way to Salzburg:

Würzburg
Bamberg (A UNESCO World Heritage old-town)
Rothenburg (very touristy)
Iphofen
Bad Windsheim

Search this Thread